Don't Worry If I Disappear For A Few Days.

It is time for me to disassemble my main PC, clean it up, mod some hardware, redo partitions and freshly install everything. This has been long overdue. It's so dusty that it makes me sneeze when the side fan kicks in. I have just finished downloading all of the updated drivers for the mobo, video card, NIC and sound and burned them to CD. I found a couple of my 120MM fans plus discovered a new 40MM hiding in a box that will fit my northbridge. I found a spare new in package 2GB Seagate HDD to install Win98SE to with all of the updates that I can use to ghost from. No more updates for 98SE after March. :angry:

This is going to be a lean and clean install with only proven programs that seem to work the best. I am going to test the new Panda Titanium 2006 without using SpyBot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster or IE-Spyad to see if it lives up to it's promise of keeping me completely clean of malware. I will still use the MVP's hosts file and Opera's filter.ini. Don't be surprised to see a HJT log from me on occasion to double check this. I still haven't heard from anyone about how Opera 9.0 beta performs, but I think a test is in order.

I hope this install lasts until SP3 comes out for WinXP. Once that occurs and proves to be fairly bug free I will build a new PC and install XP Pro. This PC will become my test bed (Linux?).

I shall commence as soon as I get the email from Panda for the new download. They received payment today.

Now don't do anything I wouldn't do while I am gone. hahahahaha :thumbsup:

Have fun TT! B)

I am. I have been surfing for alternative programs and new Win98SE tweaks. Now if only I could find my disk with Ghost 2003. I can't remember if it was on my UBCD 3.3 or 4.0. I have too many utility CDs floating around amonst friends. I have all my important stuff backed up on another HDD and I am now cleaning that up between breaks. I couldn't believe all the old programs I had saved to different download folders. I need to go through my notes which programs failed miserably so I can delete them.

hi TT

good luck

can the bartpe cd be accesses on win98se

i have the bartpe ulitmate boot disk

and one of the applis was semantic ghost v8

im not sure if i can send you alink

but ile have a look at the cd and see what i can do

take care and dont be away to long

marty

hi TT

good luck

can the bartpe cd be accesses on win98se

i have the bartpe ulitmate boot disk

and one of the applis was semantic ghost v8

im not sure if i can send you alink

but ile have a look at the cd and see what i can do

take care and dont be away to long

marty

I use Ghost 2003 for Win98SE. I called one of my friends that I swap software with and he has the utility disk I created with Ghost on it. He will drop it off this weekend. Thanks anyhow. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're having a good time with this clean up project TT. Have fun and take care... :thumbsup:

***rv hopes that some day he will be able to do this... :rolleyes: .....but....on the other hand rv is in total fear that some day he maybe forced to do this.... :unsure:

:wacko:

I'm up and running. It took 3 1/2 hours to tear it down, clean the dust out (1/2 hour just for the PSU) and put it back together. I've got about 16 hours in so far and I haven't even began to tweak. At least I have 2 hard drives with 98SE and all the updates setup as backups. What fun running KillDisk, fdisk, format, install and update on 3 drives. I still ned to install quite a few programs but that shall wait until tomorrow. My eyes are tired. Later. :thumbsup:

for me a good cleaning = can of compressed air and Spybot + uninstallig crap I don't need/ use anymore. Hope you are havin fun but keep the whiskey away from the comp while you are doin this. Don't wanna mess anything up and waste perfectly good whiskey. :)

for me a good cleaning = can of compressed air and Spybot + uninstallig crap I don't need/ use anymore. Hope you are havin fun but keep the whiskey away from the comp while you are doin this. Don't wanna mess anything up and waste perfectly good whiskey. :)

I wish I could still drink whiskey. It would have relieved the boredom of waiting for programs to run. I'm still only about 75% done. I still have a couple of programs to install and a lot of tweaking to do.

I wish I could still drink whiskey. It would have relieved the boredom of waiting for programs to run. I'm still only about 75% done. I still have a couple of programs to install and a lot of tweaking to do.

I wish I could drink at work - half the time I sit there with XP reloading, hard drives formating, and updates installing

(too bad i'm underage and I have a 15 minute drive home from work - maybe i should work from home)

I wish I could drink at work - half the time I sit there with XP reloading, hard drives formating, and updates installing

(too bad i'm underage and I have a 15 minute drive home from work - maybe i should work from home)

Working at home is boring as heck. I'd like to open a combination repair shop and geek bar. it would be nice to fix a PC while having conversations with some fellow computer fanatics.