ok...here's the senerio...I go to a web page...I right click on the page..a menu box pops up with several choices...I click on "view page source"...a lot of writing opens up.

ok can I modify this writing?...what happens if I modify it?

just curious...

ok...here's the senerio...I go to a web page...I right click on the page..a menu box pops up with several choices...I click on "view page source"...a lot of writing opens up.

ok can I modify this writing?...what happens if I modify it?

just curious...

You can change the text, but you can't save the changes back to the server (in most cases). The file is stored in your browser's temp files. If you modify anything and click Save it just save it in your browser's temporary files (in most cases).

Edited by aprior

The source page is what your browser see's and turns that into what you see. That is why some browsers will render pages differently. We all receive the same html code "well most of the time" but we may not always see it the same. To make a long story endless, when you view source of a page your just looking at the file that your browser has stored locally.

I use it to find URLs of ads that I wish to block.

It's also very useful if you have your own page or are interested in learning HTML, to have a look at the codeing that goes into a page you like.

oh goody...since you guys know a lot more than I about this coding stuff I need someone to tell me how to block a popup....I have adblocker but it doesn't work and I can't find anyway to block it....

http://www.strategypage.com/default.asp

this site has a big popup in the middle that says about subscribing....I can block the popup but it also disables the videos also..I want to watch the videos.

help please.

Hmm. That's not actually pop-up. It's a normal part of the page styled to look like a pop-up with a bit of Javascript to hide it when you click Close. If you're using Firefox you can block it with the RIP extension or by editing userContent.css by hand.

Edited by jcl
Hmm. That's not actually pop-up. It's a normal part of the page styled to look like a pop-up with a bit of Javascript to hide it when you click Close. If you're using Firefox you can block it with the RIP extension or by editing userContent.css by hand.

thanks jcl...you confused me even more..I'll live with the "popup"

oh goody...since you guys know a lot more than I about this coding stuff I need someone to tell me how to block a popup....I have adblocker but it doesn't work and I can't find anyway to block it....

http://www.strategypage.com/default.asp

this site has a big popup in the middle that says about subscribing....I can block the popup but it also disables the videos also..I want to watch the videos.

help please.

See this picture on IO Security settings to block scripts

It will block scripts like the one used to display the ad.

It shouldn't affect the videos unless they use scripts.

It will kill ALL scripts on webpages.

Some scripts are useful...

EDIT-

You say you can block the ad but it disables videos.

You may want to look at

Your Advanced IO settings about videos in webpages

Edited by medab1

That won't work in this case. The 'pop-up' is nothing but an absolute-positioned div. The page only uses JavaScript to hide it when you 'close' it: disable JS and you're stuck with it. I suspect it's designed to thwart pop-up blockers.

If anyone wants to fiddle with it be aware that the server seems to include the div in only the first page served in a session.

Edited by jcl

That won't work in this case. The 'pop-up' is nothing but an absolute-positioned div. The page only uses JavaScript to hide it when you 'close' it: disable JS and you're stuck with it. I suspect it's designed to thwart pop-up blockers.

If anyone wants to fiddle with it be aware that the server seems to include the div in only the first page served in a session.

I tested my instructions before I posted them.

They work.

The ad does not appear with scripting disabled.

Try it yourself.

It works.

They work.

Try it yourself.

It works.

I tested it with IE, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, and elinks. Didn't work. Did you take the behavior I noted at the bottom of my last post into account when you were testing? You have to block or delete the session cookie the site uses to see the ad more than once.

Edited by jcl

They work.

Try it yourself.

It works.

I tested it with IE, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, and elinks. Didn't work. Did you take the behavior I noted at the bottom of my last post into account when you were testing? You have to block or delete the session cookie the site uses to see the ad more than once.

Yep.You are correct.

I was wrong.

The session cookie prevents it from being seen more than once.

I'll disable session cookies & see what happens...

EDIT-

I blocked session cookies & the add still appeared.

oh well .

It has a close button.

Edited by medab1
  • 2 months later...

ok...don't hit me for bringing up old post but I accidently found any easy solution to my problem about the pop-up. I go to the web page- the ad pops up- I close the pop-up- I go look at a photo- now instead of clicking on the back button, I simply click on the link again in my favorites. no more pop-up. strange but it works.