I'm Back With A Vengence

ok...got DSL..reboot to run off cd-rom

desptop is very high and very narrow..cannot see buttons at top.

clicked on everything I COULD see to adjust the desptop

no relief in sight.

so my question is: how do I adjust my desktop?

Edited by bearskin

you could at boot of DSL change what resolution it uses.. or its problay sending a a Feq your monitor is not native at handaling.. your monitor should have in its menu a option to change screen sizes.. (shrink and enlarge)

• 2 weeks later...

ok...I finally got my free ubuntu cds today. all 5 of them. there was a installation disk and a live cd in each package. so using the live cd disk I rebooted, the configuration did it's thing then a blank screen came up and it just sits there and does nothing. it says on the package that it needs 128 ram and that's what I got. any suggestions?

which video card?

and I don't use ubuntu but 128 megs.. sound light for gnome..

Edited by iccaros
ok...I finally got my free ubuntu cds today. all 5 of them. there was a installation disk and a live cd in each package. so using the live cd disk I rebooted, the configuration did it's thing then a blank screen came up and it just sits there and does nothing. it says on the package that it needs 128 ram and that's what I got. any suggestions?

128 MB RAM for Ubuntu is a bit light. Ubuntu is quite RAM intensive and will go into swap with 192 MB RAM. Hmmm......there may be some hardware issues with your unit; I've run Ubuntu on a Pll 266 with 128 MB RAM, it ran okay, but, very slow.

Ubuntu is very good at detecting hardware........perhaps you have some hardware that Ubuntu can't detect.

Can Knoppix boot your unit?

well I think I found the problem. my video is using 16 megs of my ram so that leaves me with only 112 ram. everything loaded fine til it got to the desktop and then it quit. will knoppix run with 112 ram?

well I think I found the problem. my video is using 16 megs of my ram so that leaves me with only 112 ram. everything loaded fine til it got to the desktop and then it quit. will knoppix run with 112 ram?

try www.slax.org

or puppylinux

or DSL

or mine iccaros-linux.org..

mine and slax will boot at first with no gui.. read the screen, as it lets you pick the gui, for both guifast would be your choice.. or the frame buffer choice.. after reading the login page it will say..

sorry for the problems.. but hope this helps.

What are the minimum system requirements for Knoppix?

* Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),

* 32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),

* bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),

* standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,

* serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

I think that your unit will run Knoppix, but, it may be a bit sluggish. I'd go with iccaros's recommendations and try Slax, DSL, Iccaros or puppylinux, they will use less system resources. :D

this is where I am now.

puppy linux- had internet access but couldn't get printer to work

dam small linux- couldn't get screen adjusted

ubuntu- not enough ram

slax- corrupted iso file

knoppix- so long ago I can't remember what the problem was

so I guess it's back to win 3.1 and dos 5

have a nice day guys and thanks for everything.

you could always just add a stick of ram. if you put another 128mb stick in that would give you enough ram for just about any linux Distro

Thanks for the suggestion Dragon but there is one little problem....I only have 2 slots with 64 megs in each slot so I would have to buy 2 modules with 128 megs...I'm saving up for another computer but it will be several months.

you could always just add a stick of ram. if you put another 128mb stick in that would give you enough ram for just about any linux Distro

Thanks for the suggestion Dragon but there is one little problem....I only have 2 slots with 64 megs in each slot so I would have to buy 2 modules with 128 megs...I'm saving up for another computer but it will be several months.

Could you not just install to HDD? This would reduce the require ram to 32mb in ubuntu.

ok Bearskin, i didn't know what your system was setup like completely.

Rhema, you need at least 128 free ram for Ubuntu unless you are installing it as a server

System Requirements from the Wiki

Table 1 Recommended Minimum Requirements

Install Type | RAM | Hard Drive Space

Desktop | 128 megabytes | 2 gigabytes

Server | 64 megabytes | 500 megabytes

Bearskin, you can use any distro on the hardware you have. It is the desktop environment that will cause a significant slowdown of the system. I have an old laptop (circa '98) that is running Ubuntu well with 192MB (it's max) and ran abit slow with 128. Give an Ubuntu install a try if it runs to slow for your taste you should be able to install a lighter DE like xfce4 or fluxbox which will run much better.