Hey guys

I have two HDDs both IDE.

Both are running fine except the master drive has a speed of 23MBPS or so while the slave has a speed of 1.9MPBS. Is this normal for a slave drive to run so slowly? Iv even tried putting each drive on a seperate cable. Didnt help. Both have a RPM of 7200.

Edited by trogdor52

it sounds like it may be a DMA(direct memory access) issue. you can check to see if your slow drive is using dma or pio mode(this mode is slow). This is how you can check in XP, I am not sure about 98.

first you need to goto your device manager. r-click on "my computer", then choose "properties", then the "hardware tab" then choose, "device manger"

after getting to the device manager, goto "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" , then r-click on "primary IDE channel", choose "properties", then look on the "advanced settings" tab . It will tell you the transfere mode. Let me know what tranfere mode it is using.

Edited by shanenin
Hey guys

I have two HDDs both IDE.

Both are running fine except the master drive has a speed of 23MBPS or so while the slave has a speed of 1.9MPBS. Is this normal for a slave drive to run so slowly? Iv even tried putting each drive on a seperate cable. Didnt help. Both have a RPM of 7200.

can you answer Brians question?

and do you have SMART DISK running in your BIOS

I have three different computers all with 2 hard drives. All 7200 rpm drives from various manufacturers

defining slow= below 3 mbps. fast = above 25 mbps/

Computer 1: Primary drive is slow and secondary drive is fast.

I disconnected the secondary drive and the primary drive became fast.

computer 2: primary drive is fast, secondary drive is slow

computer 3: primary drive is slow, secondary drive is fast.

this does not seem to be related to the drives themselves.

I used the newer yellow ribbon cable (high speed?).

I don't know anything about smart disk. i never installed it on any of the computers. Two of them are Dell 600SC servers and one is a Dell 2400 desktop.

I have three different computers all with 2 hard drives. All 7200 rpm drives from various manufacturers

defining slow= below 3 mbps. fast = above 25 mbps/

Computer 1: Primary drive is slow and secondary drive is fast.

I disconnected the secondary drive and the primary drive became fast.

computer 2: primary drive is fast, secondary drive is slow

computer 3: primary drive is slow, secondary drive is fast.

this does not seem to be related to the drives themselves.

I used the newer yellow ribbon cable (high speed?).

I don't know anything about smart disk. i never installed it on any of the computers. Two of them are Dell 600SC servers and one is a Dell 2400 desktop.

If I am not mistaken, Smart Disc is part of the Bios and can be enabled or Disabled there.

If I am not mistaken, Smart Disc is part of the Bios and can be enabled or Disabled there.

yes it will tell you if you have a bad drive...

also ide drives are parallel, menaing only one can talk at a time.. if one is doing something with the systems bus the other will have to talk when it gets a chance..

what are you using to get these speeds?

and 7200 is the speed the disk spins at..

diffrent

cache, access times, and timing incompatibiltys effect performance..