I have a 800mhz 128mb RAM computer with WindowsXP on it. I've read just about every tutorial out there to "speed up XP while keeping its features." Well im done with that, I could care less about the features, Is there a way to strip XP to almost nothing? I need it only for some games and the internet really.

thanks

I have a 800mhz 128mb RAM computer with WindowsXP on it. I've read just about every tutorial out there to "speed up XP while keeping its features." Well im done with that, I could care less about the features, Is there a way to strip XP to almost nothing? I need it only for some games and the internet really.

thanks

fubz:

I have XP pro sp2, and I have 512mb ram. My understanding is that XP runs better with at least minumum 256mb ram. I see you only have 128mb. Might want to add some more, at least another 128mb.

If you are playing games, you might also check your video card. I've read that some games run better on some of these newer video cards. I don't know for sure what you need, as I'm not a gamer. Let one of the gamer gurus here tell you what to get if need be.

The ram I would definately add. I would add as much as I could afford and as much as your computer will take, but at least another 128mb.

Here is a place that will tell you what your computer takes after you give it the info.

Crucial

Barb :D

gaming guru at your service (or at least i like to think so). for your system if you have agp i suggest somewhere i the range from a GeForce MX4000 128MB to a GeForce FX5500 256MB. You can get these in PCI too just in case. max your ram (probably 512MB PC133). Make sure you have at least a 250 watt PSU to handle your video card.

To strip down your system. Right click My Computer and click Properties. Then click the advanced tab. Then click the Peformance button. After that, turn off whatever you want and that'll save precious power.

Ya i already did all that performance crap. I've been looking at XPLite, too bad i have to pay for it :( Too bad im poor :(

And im not playing real games so it doesnt matter, just diablo or AOE, wich can run on the crappy integrated card. And i dont have the money for more RAM.

Ya i already did all that performance crap. I've been looking at XPLite, too bad i have to pay for it :( Too bad im poor :(

And im not playing real games so it doesnt matter, just diablo or AOE, wich can run on the crappy integrated card. And i dont have the money for more RAM.

you don't have to pay for XPLITE. read again.

When you install XP , you can choose the default install with all commonly used features; or you can choose custom and only install the items you know you will need. Note that this requires a fairly advanced knowledge of your system and needs. Mess up and you may find you cannot go online, or you can't play the game you love without first going and adding a component.

Likewise, in any existing install you can just go to the control panel => add/ remove programs applet=> windows components

and remove components you do not use (say windows media player ).

Also you can follow blackvipers tips on what services to turn off.

(black viper is currently down for reconstruction)

http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/ar...indows_xp.phtml

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:K_qin...iguration&hl=en