Question On Power Supply Failure

My friends have a Compaq Presario 5000 series. Their power supply burned out. Is it possible other components were damage?

Also I've tried searching for a replacement power supply. The way the case is made the screws won't line up with any PS they have to get the replacement from Compaq, but so far I haven't had too much luck finding it. This is the replacement # 255712-002. It's suppose to be a 250 Watt supply, but I get a 235 watt with that number. How can I find a replacement?

Also if a replacement is too costly I was thinking of buying a new case with power supply, that way I can go with 400 watts. I'm trying to find infor on the motherboard for this computer. Will it fit in a atx miro case?

So what I am asking is three things...... can a burned out PS cause damage to the other components ...

.... where can I buy a replacement PS ....... what case will fit with this machine's mobo?

Thank you for your time.

My friends have a Compaq Presario 5000 series. Their power supply burned out. Is it possible other components were damage?

Also I've tried searching for a replacement power supply. The way the case is made the screws won't line up with any PS they have to get the replacement from Compaq, but so far I haven't had too much luck finding it. This is the replacement # 255712-002. It's suppose to be a 250 Watt supply, but I get a 235 watt with that number. How can I find a replacement?

Also if a replacement is too costly I was thinking of buying a new case with power supply, that way I can go with 400 watts. I'm trying to find infor on the motherboard for this computer. Will it fit in a atx miro case?

So what I am asking is three things...... can a burned out PS cause damage to the other components ...

.... where can I buy a replacement PS ....... what case will fit with this machine's mobo?

Thank you for your time.

Take a look at this site for power supply for your Compaq:

PC Power Supply

I bought one for my Dell, and they are very good. There are other places, but this is the only one I have dealt with. I know Newegg has power supplies, not sure for what computers. You could check there also. Can't help you with your other question, but someone here will come along and help you.

Barb

Thanks for the link. I found the replacements, but the price is too high. It would be cheaper to purchase another case.

Now I need to know what case I can use. This is a Compaq Presario 5330US. Here is a link giving the specs.

I'm considering this case ..... will it fit?

Also is there a chance that other components were damaged?

Thank you for your time. :thumbsup:

El-Cheapo cases come with crappy power supplies that are prone to failure. One of these cases cost a few bucks more but have excellent power supplies.

Enermax

My friend says he wants UBS ports in the back and front .... are there any cases like that on this site to fit his hardware or are the UBS in the back are on the mobo?

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Edited by spirittoo

El-Cheapo cases come with crappy power supplies that are prone to failure. One of these cases cost a few bucks more but have excellent power supplies.

Enermax

My friend says he wants UBS ports in the back and front .... are there any cases like that on this site to fit his hardware or are the UBS in the back are on the mobo?

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

The USB for the back should be on the motherboard. The Enermax cases have extra USB ports on the fronts. They should fit his needs.