Cruise Control Settings - Very Interesting.

PEASE READ THIS IT COULD SAVE A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how many people know about this?

Shadow.

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore, Texas, she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.

But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplane when your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control. The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries. If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life

But not all cars will "accelerate to a high rate of speed" when they hydroplane. Rather, your vehicle's wheels will maintain the speed set by the cruise control. If set at 50 mph, the tires will continue to rotate at that rate - they will not suddenly accelerate out of control just because they aren't in contact with the road. The lone exception is vehicles whose speed is metered on the non-drive axles.

Break the Chain

Seems this is wise advice, but some of the story didn't make sense to me, so did a search. And yes it is highly suggested to turn off your cruise control in wet/slippery weather.

Thanx, Shadow

Owners Manual???

They have a Owners Manual??

O, Yes. Here it is.....in the glove compartment.

No seriously. That is good advice. And many need to be reminded of this.

Thanks Shadow

Wow, thanks to Shadow and the rest of you, too! I'm one that actually reads the owners manuals, but if I know how to work something (like cruise control) I skim/skip over it. I've discovered through trial and error that one shouldn't use cruise control in snowy/icy conditions, but never thought of rain. I'm definitely telling my kids this advice. Thank you all, this post is a literal lifesaver.

Liz

I haven't followed the links to determine if this is just another Internet fable or not but I did think of a couple of 'suspicious' parts:

You can infer from the story that she usually uses the cruise control, but if that were so she'd know to, and would likely have had to many times in the past, just tap the brakes to turn it off within milleseconds. The moment the vehicle began to lose traction she would have been aware of it and should have known to tap the brakes and take over the throttle manually.

Also, if the vehicle lost traction due to hydroplaning it would slow down, not speed up. The driven wheels would increase speed, but ONLY because the vehicle itself was slowing down. The cruise control would mindlessly increase the speed of the driven wheels in an attempt to regain speed lost due to the loss of traction. So the statement that the vehicle was going FASTER than the cruise control was set at is preposterous. The driven wheels had no traction, that's why they were spinning, so from where did the vehicle gain momentum? A tail-wind?

as the car guy here i guess i should finally post about it. plain and simple, she's an idiot and didn't concentrate, and drove off the road. then this crap came out, cause it couldn't be her fault :rolleyes: . the car does not increase speed, but you can hydroplane out of control with cruise control on. there is nothing to turn off the cruise in most cars for hydroplaning. she probably slammed on her brakes when it was too late causing the brakes to lock up. and yes even with antilock brakes they can still lock up on almost any car. especially with enough water to hydroplane. the part about the car increasing speed is just an exaggeration to make it a myth.

Edited by macmarauder

OK then, under very specific circumstances, sudden acceleration is technically possible. I didn't know that. I know about cruise controls getting 'stuck' on acceleration (my Explorer has been the subject of a recall for that exact problem). However, you just hold the brake and the problem is solved (brakes are able to stop a vehicle even under full acceleration). Or how about turning off the ignition? Problem solved. I guess if you panic or aren't aware of those options it could result in an accident. But if you panic, almost anything can result in an accident. And if you don't know how to safely operate a motor vehicle, well ... Take the bus.

Hyrdoplaining is one the most dangerous things at high speeds regardless of the cruise-control set or not. Of course we all can sit and say don't panic, but until you have been through it a few times, the adrenaline kicks you into panic mode. Just beaware of your surroundings and what your actual job is when you are driving.

I went through 2 different defensive action driving courses, as well as trying my luck on many a stunt driving courses that were offered around town, the worst experience ever is realizing your aren't incontrol of the car because you blinked (panic'd) and started excerising your mind instead of focusing on the objective.

"Knowledge is 'actions' defence."

And make sure you wear a SEATBELT...so many injuries/deaths occur from not wearing one...a bruise or cut is way better than Death...