This is the last time I buy electronics from a 'warehouse' store. After 3 years, the final piece of electronic I thought was a good deal died, my 19 inch Sylvania monitor. I am now using my 9 year old MAG 17, which is still running strong (knock wood)

I need a monitor, CRT or LCD. I play games with it, do CBT's and surf a lot. My price range seems to lead me to a 19 inch. My VC isn't DVI out, but it's old too so I could upgrade.

Any comments on what to buy, what not to buy? Any really good deals?

TIA!

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday

Brian:

I have a Dell 17in LCD and love it. This is what I have and where I got it:

Eagle Computer

You can click on the side for other choices to check out what they have. I got very good service from them. They packaged the LCD so tight it could never fall out and break. I had to pry it out.

Barb :D

Well, I am still trying to decide.  It looks like I will be getting an LCD, I can hardly find local CRT's at 19.

Anyone besides Barb (thanks Barb :))have an LCD they like for gaming?

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comming from a gamer that has a 19" LCD, i would get a 21" or 24" CRT and would be cheaper then a 17 or 19 LCD and much better!!

You can usually find Samsung CRT monitors reasonable. Their flat screen 19" go for around $200 and the 21" for about $430. I found a local shop here selling the 19" for $160. Take a guess what my next purchase will be. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, no deals like that here. I found a refurbed Dell Trinitron 21 from a reputable dealer for 219 but the shipping is 76 bucks. looking at that $430 dollar pricetag you quoted makes me think it might be worth it.

BH

for games i'd stick with CRT. just surf newegg and read the reviews then decide. me i bought my 19" Dell M991 From my friend used for 40 bucks. It's 3 years old and I expect it to last about as long as my 8 year old CTX i'm still using on my gateway. 8 years of constant use means one helluva good monitor. i also have an 8 year old 17" Magitronic. i have no clue about it's usage. family friends in georgia had it in closet. asked for it instead of 15" they were gonna give me. the same friend that sold me the Dell monitor also gave me a free 10 year old 17" Radius CRT and a 2-3 year old 17" Sceptre LCD. Radius has a mutilated VGA cable and works perfectly. sceptre doesn't work. do we see a pattern. LCD's die too easily and CRT's last so long you use a baseball bat to give you a good reason to buy a new one.

Wow, no deals like that here.  I found a refurbed Dell Trinitron 21 from a reputable dealer for 219 but the shipping is 76 bucks.  looking at that $430 dollar pricetag you quoted makes me think it might be worth it. 

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can get that Trinitron for that price grab it. To me those were the best CRTs on the market. I gave my great-niece my old Trinitron so she could enjoy her games. The Samsung CRTs are close but not the same.

If you can get that Trinitron for that price grab it. To me those were the best CRTs on the market. I gave my great-niece my old Trinitron so she could enjoy her games. The Samsung CRTs are close but not the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks all, I made my order this morning. For anyone else who is interested, they are at Tiger Direct

$179 after $40 rebate. Shipping was $76, 1 year parts and labor with shipping both ways (I bought an additional 2, since it was door to door)

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday