Needing Free Ups Monitoring Software

Those who have been keeping up with some of my recent posts here know that this past week I finally got a UPS for my computer. I really like how the UPS itself is functioning. It immediately switches over to battery power, and is surprisingly able to keep my system running given how small it is.

However, I'm not all that fond of the monitoring and configuration program it came with. It uses Java running in Internet Explorer, so it is slow and sluggish to respond. Also, the interface is a little confusing.

The worst part of all...last night I decided to test out the UPS. I pulled the plug with the intention of allowing it to run from battery until it reaches the point where the UPS is to shut down the computer automatically. When the UPS battery reached the point at which the system should shut down...it didn't! It said the computer was shutting down ("It" being the UPS monitoring software), but it sat there doing nothing. After waiting for about another minute I plugged the UPS back in to keep the battery from completely dying. Two more minutes passed, then finally it shut down...AFTER I had plugged it back in.

Needless to say, this is making me look for an alternate UPS monitoring program. This is why I am posting here. I am wanting some recommendations for free UPS monitoring software to replace what I am using now.

Now, last night I created three .BAT scripts. One displays an alert and sounds an alarm when main power fails, the second shows a message when main power is restored, and the third tells the computer to hibernate when the battery gets low. Thus, I am already halfway there regarding what actually happens on the different events. All I need now is a monitoring program that I can configure to automatically run those .BAT scripts at the correct times.

One final tidbit of information: the UPS monitoring software needs to be compatible with model Opti-UPS VS575C, must support communication via the serial port, and must run on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Thank you.

Edited by Torin_Darkflight

i know you would have done a search on google, so i'm not trying to insult you here with this link.

i think that maybe you can try any of these, but then again, i gotta wonder if there is a "universal" or "generic" software for your particular UPS. maybe you might have to do a new install, then update the software you currently have?

otherwise, maybe someone else can be of some additional help.

Not an insult at all. I did search through Google, but a lot of the programs I found there were either for Linux or were for brands/models other than the one I have. I also tried to look for information about how to configure XP's built-in UPS service to work with my UPS, but I couldn't find anything along those lines. I'm hesitant to just begin messing around in the UPS service configuration, because there's an ominous warning in there that leads me to believe the wrong settings might damage the UPS or the computer.

Something else I need to add...along with shutting down the computer (Or having it enter hibernate), the UPS software also needs to tell the UPS to turn off after the system is powered down. I was able to get the current software to successfully hibernate the system when the battery is low, but the UPS stays powered on afterwards, potentially leading to a completely dead battery if I'm not there to manually turn it off afterwards.

Unfortunately I can't cut the power to my room without cutting it to half the house, something I doubt the other people who live here would enjoy. Besides, I don't see any difference between pulling the plug from the wall and turning off the power at the fuse box (They both result in no power flowing into the UPS, thus they should be interpreted the same way).

I found a newer version of the UPS software on the company's website. I'm going to download and give that a try to see if it makes any difference.

Besides, I don't see any difference between pulling the plug from the wall and turning off the power at the fuse box (They both result in no power flowing into the UPS, thus they should be interpreted the same way).

actually, there is a difference. when you unplug the UPS, you are creating a spark at the wall socket. when the power just fails, there isn't any spark. the UPS needs to "read" for line voltage. no voltage, means continued battery power, as we all know. however, you created a spark, and this could have damaged the UPS, this is why we tell people never to unplug a pc while its still turned on.

the "simple act" of unplugging the UPS from the wall while it was active may have sent a signal to the internals not acceptable to the programming software.

i would go back to "square one" and start over, like you just bought the UPS and are setting it up for the first time.

Edited by pro1driver

Well, I have the newer version of the control software installed. It does successfully shut down the computer AND turn off the UPS afterwards, so at least I know it works like it is supposed to.

Now, if only I could figure out how to make it automatically hibernate instead of doing a full shut down, and still have the UPS turn off afterwards. I'm already halfway there, I can make it automatically hibernate by having the software run a .BAT script when the battery gets low. But, to do this I need to disable the automatic shut down option, which in turn disables the signal that tells the UPS to automatically turn off when it detects the computer is no longer running.

And yes, I know hibernate isn't meant for desktop computers. But, I've been using it normally on mine for three years now, and I haven't had a single problem with it.