When it tries to boot from a disc or the hardrive, it just goes to a blank screen and may or may not pop up an error message. basically, i can't get Windows XP to start.

Here is a couple errors that I got while trying to boot.

minint\system32\biosinfo.inf error code 32795

and

<windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Can someone please help?

Note: If you did not set a administrator password just leave it blank and press Enter.

NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

If this problem is due to APM and you can boot into safe mode either check or uncheck Enable Advanced Power Management Support. This can be done by going to Control Panel - Double clicking Power Options. It is located under the APM tab.

Did you do anything previous to this happening? Install new hardware or etc.?

As a last resort.

WinXP repair install

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

The BIOS can normally be accessed when you start your computer. You may see a reference to "setup" when you turn your computer on. That's your opportunity to get into the BIOS. It usually requires the push of a function key, such as F10, to get access to it. That "F" key varies between computers. Sometimes it's the ESC key or DEL key.

Ok, guys. It's looking like the hard-drive is corrupt/damaged/ or whatever.

Turns out the disc that was used at first was crap. Luckily, we had a friend that bought the right Windows XP disc.

Anyways, i went through everything to re-setup Windows. Thing is, once I got to what finally seemed like the last step, it said the hard-drive was corrupt.

I ran the setup. Towards the end it said I needed to pick a partition(sp?) for XP to be saved on, or whatever. There was one disc drive available with two options. A high memory one and a lower memory. Anyways, I tried reformatting both of them to get this thing running, but both of them could not be formatted cause they were damaged, or whatever.

So, the hard disc drive is jacked, right? What could cause something like this to happen? How does it get fixed. What is the cheapest way to have it fixed?

And any other helpful info would be much appreciated.

And thanks for your help so far.

Edited by odnetniNREV

was the PC home built(custom) or manufactured, like HP, Compaq, Dell and so on?

if it was manufactured, is it less than a year old?

if so, then the hard drive is under warranty. if custom built, see if the warranty is up from where it was bought.

if it is out of warranty, the cost of another hard drive is less than you think.

you just have to know what type of HDD to get. whether it is sata or ata, and whether it is a 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm.

but if you were unable to format and install then it does sound like the hdd is bad. there is not much you can do to fix it, except replace it.

It is an HP. It's an E-machine. It's my parents computer. They really should have consulted me before they got a PC. An E-machine definitely wouldn't have been on the top of my list.

It's also probably still under warranty. Should I have them take it bak to the store, or is this something where we have to send in the PC?

Also, I'd really like to know what would cause the HDD to go bad. I mean, would someone had to of dropped the thing, or what?

First of all what do you mean the first disk used was wrong? Did you put WinXP on this because it had another operating system from the factory?

Second. Is it a HP or eMachine? They are two different PC makers. eMachine is a decent computer. When was it bought? What model?

Third. This problem could be caused by a loose or bad IDE cable.

Fourth. Why should they consult you? You don't seem to have much knowledge in the matter of what computer you're using or what you're doing.

Well, I know enough to get on here to get help to find out what is wrong. I also think i'm better than going somewhere that charges $60 an hour.

The reason I say HP/E-machine is because the disc that was used, and that came with the system to put Windows XP on the system, is an HP disc. A lot of other HP stuff came with the computer too. Like manuals and such. The reason I say e-machine is because that is what the computer screen says right before boot-up. I really don't care enough about HP and E-machines to know what there relationship is.

And, i don't know what model of computer it is. It probably one of the newest/cheapest models knowing my parents.

And, the disc I was using was the HP disc that was used to put XP on there in the first place. I don't know if it was scratched or what, but it wouldn't work. I finally got a plain XP disc that worked.

Where is the best place to get replacement HDD's?

Odnet, you were definitely right to come here first!!!! I have learned that is the right thing to do!! AND I know what happens when parents buy and use a computer-- ;)

One thing I read is that you think the computer is still under warranty. I personally would have your folks dig up the purchase order and call the place you bought it from and see if it can be fixed for free--even if they don't have the purchase order (but I bet they do) the place they bought it from should have a record.

And this is a really dumb suggestion, and I'm sorry for suggesting this, but this drove me nuts last week (ok, I admit, I'm a parent!)....There isn't a Floppy Disk or a Flash Drive plugged in the computer, is there? From "first hand experience", I learned those gadgets make a computer not want to start correctly. :)

Liz

A HP disk should not have come with that computer if it was bought new. It seem someone installed WinXP on that PC by using another manufacturers disk. This make me believe this PC was bought used or originally had a different OS. This does not make it eMachines fault.

A HP disk should not have come with that computer if it was bought new. It seem someone installed WinXP on that PC by using another manufacturers disk. This make me believe this PC was bought used or originally had a different OS. This does not make it eMachines fault.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this statement. HP/Compaq should have nothing to do with emachines they are owned by Gateway. There is nothing wrong with emachines I like them for entry level they work I have had a few for years. I think someone has tampered with that machine.

Useless info: HP/Compaq are one of the few manufacturers that give you an actual XP CD intead of a recovery disk. And the recovery disk includeds a cool app to intall all hardware drivers.