I want to get a new hard drive since my current one only has... :blush: 1GB left...

Are there diffrent kinds of hard drives like there are diffrent kinds of RAM?

I have Everest but failed to find a description of what KIND of hard drive i have, i know that it is a 30GB western digital.

I'm looking to spend around $50, give or take, i looked on newegg, but i don't know which one to buy, it's intimidating for me =\.

any suggestions?

Well, there aren't that many types of harddrives; after making sure that the harddrive can connect to your computer (most of the time, shouldn't be a problem) you only need to look at 2 different aspects: capacity and RPM speed.

Capacity is, well, capacity, how much storage is available on the harddrive. That aspect is pretty much straightforward, you buy according to your usage.

RPM speed is not a big detail, but still something you should look at (RPM, if you don't know, means revolutions per minute, telling you how fast the hard disk spins. The fast it spins, the faster it is to read and write to the HD). Nowadays 7200 RPM is the standard for desktops, i'd recommend you get at least 7200 RPM. However, Western Digital also offers an almost trademark harddrive called a raptor, goes at approx. 10,000 RPM, reading and writing data at very high speeds. Its quite expensive, and only available in 74GB (if memory serves me right). here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144160.

Besides, that, I don't look to much further into harddrives. If your looking for in-depth analysation, i'm not the guy :D.

i was onceĀ  a "dedicated" western-digital user. but when my W-D died, i thought i'd try a different maker, so i went with Seagate. i'd recommend Seagate first, then W-D second.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOl so do i thats why it was the first thing i listed. I pretty much only use Seagate as of now

i was onceĀ  a "dedicated" western-digital user. but when my W-D died, i thought i'd try a different maker, so i went with Seagate. i'd recommend Seagate first, then W-D second.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOl so do i thats why it was the first thing i listed. I pretty much only use Seagate as of now

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya.. Seagate gives a 5-year warranty..and they're quiet.... :thumbsup: