Plane Struck By Lightning

Hey all

Just watching the news and an Air France Airbus A340 was struck by lightning while landing about an hour ago in Toronto Canada, it lost power and crashed off the runway bursting into flames.

Jeez...this just said from a passenger...seems like almost everyone was able to escape before it burned...I hope this is the case.

It crashed just off the highway and I guess some survivors were found wandering on the highway. 291 crew and passengers onboard....God Bless them all, I hope they all survive.

Confirmed....NO FATALATIES!!

Wow...thats great!

Just watching a news conference right now about it, it seems they had just enough time to evacuate before the fire took hold.

Quick response by the Toronto Airport Fire service is being credited with the evacuation being so sucessful.

Way To Go Boys!!!

Hey all

Just watching the news and an Air France Airbus A340 was struck by lightning while landing about an hour ago in Toronto Canada, it lost power and crashed off the runway bursting into flames.

Jeez...this just said from a passenger...seems like almost everyone was able to escape before it burned...I hope this is the case.

It crashed just off the highway and I guess some survivors were found wandering on the highway. 291 crew and passengers onboard....God Bless them all, I hope they all survive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi chappy im just watching that news now it appears no one

was killed.

but 14 were injured

hope they will be ok .

did this happen in the toronto airport .

and to think i may fly to canada next year

by the looks of the screen the aircraft is on fire

thank god the people were saved

marty .

Today was proof that miracles do happen!! I heard most of the injuries were caused by folks going down the emergency chutes.

Yep, Marty, it was going from Paris to Toronto and I guess there was a lightning storm in Toronto, perhaps it got struck or maybe poor visibility was to blame...so far as I've heard.

Liz

Looking at those pictures on TV, it is hard to believe no one was killed. Miracles do happen.

Excellent response time by the Fire Dept. Good job Toronto. :thumbsup:

They said they evacuated the plane with all passengers within 1 minute and 1/2. WOW.

That is impressive. :thumbsup:

Barb

Just an update on this...

There has been no evidence so far that the plane WAS struck by lightning, and workers at the airport say that the plane touched down way too far down the runway and couldn't stop in time.

It may be pilot error after all, but it was also terrible weather conditions at the time....we are all human, and mistakes do happen.

I'm just thankful that nobody was seriously injured.