Most Of My Files And Folders Are Deleted

I'm So SORRY for the secone thread. I have a REALLY HUGE PROBLEM.

I installed fraps and uninstalled it and inmstalled a new version of it, when I tried it out it didnt work, so I posted in a gaming forums site they said to do this. ( at bottom)

I did that and now ALL my files are gone except the C folders and files, BUT all my documnets and and desktop folders are gone. I've lost about 20 gbs of VERY important information which is mines and my fathers work stuff. I need to know how I can get this back before my dad finds out and KILLS ME. PLEASE HELP ME, I REALLY NEED SOME INFORMATION PLEASE.

1) Uninstall the demo or the retail versions of fraps.

2) Close any application that YOU (not necessarily your computer) might be running.

3) Open Regedit.

4) Press Ctrl+F to bring up the searching tool and ask it to search for “nZgFQGQhfU†exclude the quotation marks. The reason why we need to perform a search trough the whole registry is because this value gets installed into different paths depending on the computer it is running on. But I’m pretty sure it’s name remains always the same.

5) When it finds that value, delete it. DO NOT delete the Key/Folder that contains this value.

6) Now delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARELicenses".

7) Close Regedit.

8) Now click Start/Run: CMD (Open the DOS command prompt) And type del /s /q *.tmp

9) Exit the DOS prompt once it has finished doing the instruction described above.

10) Install the retail version of fraps (make sure you are not installing the demo)

Oh, XCannon, that's a bummer, I can't help you, but one important thing I do remember reading is "do as little on the computer as possible to prevent things being overwritten on the deleted files". I hope you're reading this on a different computer. There are "gadgets" that can apparently get the info back--unfortunately, I don't remember what they are, but I do remember that little piece of information--so until someone of knowledge answers, use the computer as little as possible.

Good Luck and I'm "rooting" for you!

TO THE EXPERTS-- would system restore help XCannon???

Liz

use the computer as little as possible.

That's an understatement...try not at all.

I'm sure you're aware that any data being written to the disk could be potentially overwriting the deleted data, so using it at all , puts recovering files at risk.

I'm not sure how you managed it...something tells me it's step 8 but it doesn't really matter at this point.

I'd try something like, PC INSPECTORâ„¢ File Recovery 4.x (freeware...can't vouch for it since I've never used it).

I have used non-free recovery apps but don't really have a recommendation....it's more like I just can't remember the names of them.

Keep in mind you're gonna need another drive or partition to recover the data to, or it could overwrite what it's recovering....bet you're gonna wish you didn't take that HDD back to Fry's :o

OK, I've finally managed to get some of my stuff back and some of my fathers things back, NOW I need to get the things I have on this PC over to my other one, Should I FTP it there or create a creat a network? There are about 20 gbs I need to get over there so what is the best solution?

you have got your self in a pickle.

if you want to transfer your data to another hdd.

IF you are using XP

there is a way you can transfer data from one drive to another.

start- all programs -accesorys -sys tools- transfer wizard

try that.i havent done it my self so you will have read the info

and follow the screens .

then-

have a look in start -search- allfiles and folders

type the name of the files in the search box and see if you can recover some of them there .

tho it may be to late

like tictoc says they may be overwritten

next time it would be a good idea to uninstall

in safe mode that way

your files are not attached to important

things like dll files

tho you can still recover dll files

good luck and post back and let us know on your progress

marty

The files that I did get back are not the right ones, the names are correct but the contents are all wrong, i.e I have a files called ALL and another called 343 they get mixed or have 0 bytes, good thing I backed up most of my files to a spare HD about a month prior :D . But my fathers work is all gone :( and I'm dead, I'll give the file transfer a try thx.

Hi XCannon,

Phew, and hooray!  Don't mean to interupt, but out of curiousity (and in case this ever happens to me, Heaven forbid!), how did you get the stuff back?

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hiya Liz,

Not that I can answer for XCannon, but the key to not ever having it happen is to back up all things of importance...by way of saving to another drive/partition/CD or DVD or all of the mentioned if you like redundancy...they say, "it's not if your hard drive will fail, it's when your hard drive will fail"

and to answer your question about system restore:

System restore will only recover deleted registry keys and shortcuts pertaining to the system...not your deleted personal files.

Hi X-Cannon

Were you able to recover all of the missing data yet?

Let me know as it is all still there and recoverable as long as its not overwritten. I can walk you thru file recovery if needed.

I think most of the files were overwritten, when I recovered them they had the correct names but when opened some were correct but most were corrupt. I've formated my computer and took most of the files that were fine to a spare computer, good thing I also had most of my files on another computer that I use. Thx for the offer :P

I am just guessing here, not real familiar with ms dos. this command

type del /s /q *

it would delete all files, where the bottom command will just delete files temp files that end with .tmp

type del /s /q *.tmp

maybe you mistyped it

sorry about what happened. I tell my wife to constantly back her stuff up, because eventually I will screw somthing up(which happended yesterday)

:-)

I only smile because I have wrecked many of my linux systems by doing what you did. The space was definately the problem. Yesterday I formatted the wrong windows drive by mistyping something(doing it using knoppix). I ended up formatting my main windows drive.