Improvement Of English Spelling

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

I read this one just after I read the F Test. Boy, now I really feel stupid!! Sending this one to Dyslexic Daughter--and I bet she'll probably understand it!

Thanks, Echobay (....I think ;) )

Liz

Shew ...i had to figure out what this paragraph said. i'd plucked out a few words when i first read it...i probably should have looked to see if there was some translation.i just thought it was a kind of a cool mind game!

i have no life! Here's what i came up with...

For example,in Year 1 that useless letter"c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s".and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet.The only case in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation,which will be dealt with later.Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same consonant, while Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with"i" and year 4 might fix the"g/j anomaly once and for all.Generally, then, the improvements would continue year by year with 5 doing away with useless double consonants, and years 6-12 or so modifying vowels and the remaining voiced and unvoiced consonants.By year 15 or so,it would finally be possible to make use of the redundant letters "c", "y" and "x"--By now just a memory in the minds of old dogooders -- to replace "ch","sh" and "th" respectively. Finally, then after some 20 years of oralgraphical reform,we would have a logical coherent spelling in use throughout the English-speaking world.

oralgraphical...This one stumped me ...Think he made it up? Sounds good!

I'm guessing yes he made it up to me that the written language and spoken would be the same, none othe the many quirks that make English the hardest language to learn