On my Epson I can scan to OCR(Don't ask me what that stands for). That will allow me to open the document in either Note Pad Or Word. When it does it though, it has to convert it to a text document. So yours is most likely being saved as a .jpg or something similar. Maybe you have something similar to Epson's Twain?

Oops, I see you already figured that out!!

On my Epson I can scan to OCR(Don't ask me what that stands for). That will allow me to open the document in either Note Pad Or Word. When it does it though, it has to convert it to a text document. So yours is most likely being saved as a .jpg or something similar. Maybe you have something similar to Epson's Twain?

Oops, I see you already figured that out!!

Same here.

My Epson allows me to scan to editable text.

OCR - Optical character recognition

Here's an explaination:

Optical character recognition

Most scanners come with OCR software these days, in fact, I believe your model shipped with ReadIris OCR software.

Reading up on your model, it seems that ReadIris is included in the HP install CD that contains the drivers and things. I would pop the CD into the drive and explore it for the ReadIris software.

Link to your HP scanner's support page just in case.