Help, My Computer Restarts Itself.

Here is my situation. I have an old computer nothing special. It was put together for me four years ago when funds where tight and since Ive upgraded a little here and there. I know I need memory Im running on 128mb. Can this cause my computer to restart itself? Keep in mind since the day I turned it on it has restarted itself from time to time. This is nothing new, but this time it kind of...........sneezed..........Where it turned itself off and on and off and on again quite a few times before I could make it behave.

Im up on all of the security features and have all of my updates, and upgrades. Ive had my Hijackthis log looked at an OK'ed. My system has a 650MHZ amd duron(its sad I know) ;) , 128 Megs of Ram, 2 hard drives one 8 gig, one 40 gig. I have Ethernet hookup and a few other goodies. I know I am going to need a new one but would like to get another couple of months out of this one, maybe even another year. Anyone have any advice for me?

it would help if you would provide a bit more info...what os..?? any error messages...?? overheating..?? have you checked all the cables/connections...

with the limited info you gave..sounds like it might be a power supply issue..but that's a pure guess..

overheating..??

That is actually is very probable answer, since its been acting up since you put it together. Check the temp. on your CPU and other vital parts, that could be the answer. It could also be a faulty motherboard, but for now, check the CPU temperature.

I have good old windows 98 SE. Sorry about the missing info. I'm kinda new to this posting thing. I have no error messages other than the occasional one with shut down or restart. I have checked all of the connections outside but haven't opened her up in a while. Do you think that would help ?

One other thing I forgot to mention (DUH!) When It had its incident of sneezing it was the first time I was turning it on all day. It had sat all night and all day until around dinner time. So over heating seems to be ruled out.

Well, we can't rule it out COMPLETELY, because something may have messed up with the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink....its a possibility, but most probably something else is causing this....

i'm still guessing power supply...or a loose or damaged connection..i'd say crack the case and look around..get rid of the dust bunnies and disconnect/reconnect all cables and ram..

..if that doesn't solve the issue you might consider a new power supply..then you at least have a good start on a new build.. :blink::unsure:

I will have to crack her open, Im sure she has plenty of dust bunnies to give to me. Thanks for your help. Do you know anything about Routers ?

heh..heh..well i was a carpenter for 40 years so i know a thing or two about routers..but i'm guessing that's not what you meant..LOL

best to post a new thread/post with a new question.. ;):blink:

have you been to device manager and updated your hardware drivers.

it is good idea to be online when you update these HW drivers win 98

has a few gremlins when it comes to hard ware

some times hard ware can close your sys down.

,arty