Removal Instructions For Antivirus 2009

The Malwarebytes research team has determined that Antivirus 2009 is a fake anti-malware application.

Rogue software uses intentional false positives to convince the user that their system has been compromised and then demands money to remove these false threats. In extreme cases the false threats are actually the very trojans that advertise or even directly install the rogue. If Antivirus 2009 has been installed on your system without your permission or you are seeing popup advertising or recommending that you use Antivirus 2009 your system is infected with the zlob trojan. You are strongly advised to follow our removal instructions below.

antivirus2009.png

antivirus2009-alert.png

Our program, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove this rogue application for free. Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

[*]Then click Finish.

[*]If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

[*]Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

[*]When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

[*]Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

[*]When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.

We hope our application has helped you eradicate this malicious software. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through please consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for additional protection.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not bad sites........about a month ago, I was doing a Google Search for something completely innocent (researching a flower, I think) and this cootie popped up. Thanks to the folks having problems with this one, I knew it was a nasty and closed it and the "warning boxes" that came up afterwards (wouldn't have downloaded it anyways), looked for it in add/remove and did a system restore just in case.

Liz

Edited by blim
Not bad sites........about a month ago, I was doing a Google Search for something completely innocent (researching a flower, I think) and this cootie popped up. Thanks to the folks having problems with this one, I knew it was a nasty and closed it and the "warning boxes" that came up afterwards (wouldn't have downloaded it anyways), looked for it in add/remove and did a system restore just in case.

Liz

Yeah, them cootie things is bad.

Almost as bad as cookies. :D

Edited by sultan_emerr
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone:

I had a friend that was infected with this, and a few other nasties, and when I got done, I had a Classic Taskbar and Start Button: LINK HERE I used MBAM to scan for and remove all of the nasties - but cannot revert back to the Vista Style Taskbar and Start Button - Did/Does MBAM change this behavior, and if so, how do I change it back to the Vista Style (Theme still appears OK, but I cant change the startbutton or the Taskbar to what it would normally look like)

Brian

Hello All:

I was able to fix the Windows Vista Taskbar and Start Menu Problem by doing the following things:

SYSTEM: Acer Aspire Laptop

1. RIGHT CLICKon the Desktop, Choose Personalize and Left Click on it

2. Choose Window Color and Appearance

3. CHANGE:Window Color and Appearance to be "Windows Vista Basic", Click Apply and OK

4. CHANGE:Desktop Background to your Favorite Picture, and Click Apply and OK

5. CHANGE:Theme to "Windows Vista" and Click Apply and OK

NOTE: It seems as if the MBAM did make changes to the Taskbar and Start Button, but it is unknown wheter this was specifically due to the WinAntivirus 2009 Rogue, or if it was due to OTHER Malware that was on this system when I followed the instructions for cleaning the infection. I post this here so that others that have this issue can recover from it without having to restore their machines from backups. The fix is simple, you just have to UPDATE and run MBAM, remove the infection and then follow these instructions to restore the Taskbar and Start Menu to the Vista Defaults (If it is necessary) ~Brian

NOTE 2: I was also advised to run a "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt to check for corrupted files, but DID NOT, because I did not find a reason to do this, since the problem was solved using this method ~Brian

Edited by baker7