The PSU suddenly getting loud... probably just overheating, or the fan is dyin' out, not cooling fast enough so it kicks in over-time...

What you can do is pay careful attention to when it starts making noise, hopefully you have thermal sensors on your board, monitor overall temperature, or simply pass your hand 'round the back of the psu feeling the exhaust... mine always blows hot but then it has two fans and it's seated right over the heatsink...

Other suggestions, hmm... well, blowing out the dust in your psu was a good idea, but the issue might already be too far gone for that to help enough... just keep an eye on your temperatures, and make sure your case has proper airflow..that would be my main concern, less heat means less chance of the psu overheating... worse comes to worse the fan'll die out, just shut down and replace it..your psu should be ok... well, goodluck. :)

Suddenly today my power supply just started to get extremely loud. I opened it and blew out the dust but still it is just unbearable. I have had the Ultra XFinity 600Watt PSU for 6 months and it has run perfectly fine. Is it going to die on me now or could something else be wrong?

The question is what kind of loud do you mean?

Most likely it is the fan, and either it is a cheap fan with a sleeve instead of a bearing and the sleeve is wearing through and the fan is wobbling like it would when laden with dust and maybe even grabbing; or if it is a bearing fan it is either defective or overheated so severely that the bearings lubricant escaped.

In either case , if under warranty have it replaced, if not you can buy a new (high quality this time) fan and replace it. Be careful , the capacitors can deliver a dangerous shock even after the power supply is disconnected.

After having my tower fan run beside my computer for nearly 2 hours nothing happend (except my cpu temp went down 7c). So I did a few things to temporary fix this problem. I figured what do I have to lose? Either it is going to be loud or I will lose the power supply. So I cut the 2 fans off the PSU and added 1 fan. 1 isn't enough I know but fans are cheap so I will buy 2 more. 1 to be added to the PSU and 1 to replace the removed case fan. My AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ has heated up from 35c to about 45c which I don't think is a danger zone (correct me if I am wrong) but enough to get me by for now.

Thanks for your guys help any more input would be great

After having my tower fan run beside my computer for nearly 2 hours nothing happend (except my cpu temp went down 7c). So I did a few things to temporary fix this problem. I figured what do I have to lose? Either it is going to be loud or I will lose the power supply. So I cut the 2 fans off the PSU and added 1 fan. 1 isn't enough I know but fans are cheap so I will buy 2 more. 1 to be added to the PSU and 1 to replace the removed case fan. My AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ has heated up from 35c to about 45c which I don't think is a danger zone (correct me if I am wrong) but enough to get me by for now.

Thanks for your guys help any more input would be great

45c isn't really hot.

• 2 weeks later...