Are their any good free or maybe paid services that will allow you to use their SMTP servers for sending out a small amount of emails? For example, If I normally use my cable providers SMTP servers, but when traveling they are blocked. I would need a service that would allow me to send out emails from anywhere on the net. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are their any good free or maybe paid services that will allow you to use their SMTP servers for sending out a small amount of emails? For example, If I normally use my cable providers SMTP servers, but when traveling they are blocked. I would need a service that would allow me to send out emails from anywhere on the net. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Assuming you have Comcast; just change your SMTP port to 587.

Google Apps are great. I have my whole business integrated with them.

I need a simpler solution. My clients still want to keep thier email address, they just need to send out email while traveling. I was considering having them setup a gmail account, then use gmail's smtp service. I am not sure if that is ok to do.

Theres going to be some issues with what you want to do. Because of spam and phishing, most email services use whitelisting approaches to filter emails. If your smtp ip is not on that list, no matter the originating "return address" it will be blocked.

Why? There are loads of software packages out there that can allow you to set up your own little smtp server on say, your travel laptop. With an smtp server, you can literally declare any originating email address you'd want. With an smtp server, I could make all my emails look like they came from [email protected]. When filtering, if the smtp originating IP address isn't on their whitelist, it'll get trashed.

Google is an example of a widely accepted originating source. Many dedicated servers will have excellent success in sending out email--shared hosting doesn't do so great.

Agreed, I find gmail to be most useful in this respect and most providers allow the TLS/SSL connection to smtp.gmail.com

on port 465 and / or 587

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....mp;answer=13287

Others, you may find that the ISP lets you login and add an email sending address to the allowed list, they then send a confirmation email to that address with a verification code you have to click on the link and enter to confirm that you are indeed the owner of the address you are adding .