A couple of days ago i installed the full 464 MB version of sp1 it went well , today i decided to reboot my system and upon bootup it went into a cycle so after i turned it off and back on windows gave a option for a system repair so i selected it ,all it did was a system restore to before sp1 installation . after i successfully booted up i checked windows update and sp1 is in cue (65-427 mb)

the question is shall i install it from update or just wait ?

Mmmm.

As long as you do have a good restore point. I would do the install and see how it goes this time around. After it is installed, reboot your machine a couple of times to make sure things are worked in.

it tried to install from the windows update and failed

Having tried once and had it fail I would suggest you wait a bit until probable reasons are published.

It is likely that it is something like with XP SP2, where having a bit of malware, or leaving your antivirus/ firewall etc on during the update / reboot or having a registry protector or some customization like windowblinds etc causes a major unforseen problem and you wind up running system restore to get the system files and registry back to where they were before the update.

Often if it is caused by a third party application like antivirus or firewall they will update that in the next month once they become aware of the problem (the antivirus company not microsoft).

If you do plan on trying it again, I suggest first updating all antivirus and antispyware applications and doing full system scans.

Then disable them , and set them not to run at startup. Same with any third party firewalls and registry protection / locking programs.

Here's some information about SP1. Note the sections dealing with driver issues and updating them before installing SP1. Also note needing to separately download the help files if you choose the stand-alone download.

Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 stand-alone packages do not contain the updated Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Help files

Vista SP1 Finally Available - Choose Your Favorite Download Method

And While You're Up, Get Me Some More Updates

If you opt for the standalone installer, keep in mind that it does not include updated help files. You can update Help files two ways: run Help as soon as you update to Vista SP1 and choose the option to get updated Help content, or, download updated help files separately. Use the first option if you have an always-on broadband connection. Use the second option if you're still using dial-up or have a flaky connection. Get updated 32-bit x86 help files here. 64-bit (x64) users can get them here.

One more update to keep in mind is the new Check for System Update Readiness (aka CheckSUR) utility discussed in KB947821. CheckSUR is delivered automatically by Windows Update to systems that have problems with the Windows Servicing Store, and repairs those problems. It fixes problems with files in the \Windows\Servicing\Packages and \Windows\WinSxS\Manifests folders, registry data in three registry subkeys, and 15 different errors that can take place during attempts to update Vista.

If you'd prefer to download CheckSUR and run in manually, see the KB article for links and instructions.

thanks for the input you all

I dont have no anti virus or anti spyware or firewall running except for windows

it just seems to hang during installation

I might wait for a while before trying again

How long is it hanging during the update?

If you are stopping after a half hour or so, you might not be waiting long enough. It can take up to one and a half + hours on some systems (depending on the system configuration) to get it all fully loaded. And yes, it could sit there acting like nothing is happening for the longest time. (I mean the longest time too)

Oh Yes, and do the stand-alone install of SP1.

i got it installed now ,hopefully it went well

i am going to reboot in a couple of minutes

I rebooted and windows is loading really slow

I got the gui boot screen turned off and all the drivers and system files is loading slow

Edited by Dan72

from another board, i posted a message about the Vista SP1, and IMHO, do not download and install yet. there is a problem. alot of people are having a problelm with the service pack.

here is what i posted,

read before installing Vista SP1

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 7:15 PM Edit Reply

here are a couple of links as to why you should not install the Vista SP1, adn it looks like Microsoft screwed up again.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143708-pg,1/article.html

and this link from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5it is about the drivers that will cause a problem .

looks like MS is taking another bad hit. sounds like they have some developers that are taking short cuts just to get a product out in time.

so please do not install the service pack as of yet, unless you do not have any conflicts with drivers. do the homework first.

i am very disappointed with MS at this time, but hope they will get their act together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so be warned, there are major problems

if you want to see the full post go here

looks like MS is taking another bad hit. sounds like they have some developers that are taking short cuts just to get a product out in time.

It's third-party drivers that are fault, isn't it? It's been known for at least a couple months that SP1 includes a kernel update (to synchronize with Server 2008) and that often means drivers need to be updated. It's not Microsoft's fault that other companies suck.

I had 2 successful updates on the x64 version (same rig, 2 hard drives). First I did it with all drivers installed on one hard drive with out problems (aside from the problems I was already having with it) and installed it on another drive with no drivers or anything installed. I installed Vista x64 then immediately updated to SP1 (I had the .exe), then after that I installed all the drivers and program. Well I had all the same problems (only driver "problem" I had was that I wasn't getting all the EAX options for my Audigy 2ZS and that was both before and after the update). So, taking the problems into account (program incompatibility, program instability, slow/strange system operation) along with the extreme annoyances associated with any version of Vista, I trashed Vista x64 and went back to XP Home SP2 x86.

I'm seriously debating whether or not to update my Vista Home Basic x86 laptop cause it runs perfectly. No driver probs, rock solid stability, quick (friggin amazing considering it's a Celeron 440M with 1.5GB of RAM), and I don't have a Vista disc for it. No recovery disc either. Just that damn recovery partition that I honestly have no clue how to use. I don't wanna mess it up.

Well I had all the same problems (only driver "problem" I had was that I wasn't getting all the EAX options for my Audigy 2ZS and that was both before and after the update).

The Audigy driver is on the "borken in SP1" list. It's possible that the EAX issue was the only apparent problem.

Edited by jcl

the sound worked fine. Just the EAX didn't work right before or after SP1. But now I don't care cause I have XP SP2 again. I'll give Vista x64 another shot once I get an X-Fi and DX10 video card but even then I don't expect much.

It's third-party drivers that are fault, isn't it? It's been known for at least a couple months that SP1 includes a kernel update (to synchronize with Server 2008) and that often means drivers need to be updated. It's not Microsoft's fault that other companies suck.

the fault is lying with the service pack adn drivers for prebuilt systems. they include the sigmatel audio, ac97 audio, and there aer others as well as the audigy sytems.

there are others hardware driver problems too. if you check out the links, adn there are links inside the articles, that tells the problem with the hardware drivers.

it has been bad enough that some PCs haev failoed to restart after the service pack install.

Yes. Drivers right now are the big problem with SP1. You will have to reinstall some from the manufacturer websites to get things working. I run AC97 audio and reinstalling the manufactures drivers fixed the problem I had.