Invalid Xp Product Id Code....

Since I couldn't figure out what's wrong with my computer (no post and no beeps), I bought a new MB and CPU. When I tried to install XP pro, it went to Name, Organization then Product ID code. I entered the 25 digits from the OEM version of the original XP purchase. It said code was invalid???? I was stumped. I carefully looked at the jewel case and there was the only 25 digits and it matched what I wrote down when I first built the system. I know that I have to call Microsoft to plea my case for reactivation. But... it doesn't even let me install in the first place! let alone call them! Any suggestion? Or I bite the bullet to upgrade to Vista. Does the OEM xp install disk qualify for retail copy of the Vista upgrade version?

don't mean to hijack the thread but something similar is happening with a friend's computer. I install her copy of XP and then enter the product key of the CD (though obtained from berlac advisor in this case since she lost the original envelope) but it still takes it as invalid, not sure if there's something wrong with these XP installation disks.

Edited by intocomputing2
On a pre-built OEM system the key found by Belarc or any other program is usually a master for the OEM maker. You need to use the key that is on the sticker applied to the PC/Laptop.

I tried that too, but it still takes it as invalid, Terrorist can you reply in the thread "optimizing a system without doing a fresh install?" as I said before I don't mean to hijack someone else's thread, thanks in advance for your reply Terrorist 75

Edited by intocomputing2

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.

Or,

click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).

Or,

clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

"You have successfully activated your copy of Windows".

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Your not even able to install, so activating is the least of your problems. Put is your xp disk, then navigate to the i386 folder ,then look at the file called setupp.ini. If it is an oem, it will look like this. I would bet money it is NOT an OEM disk

[Pid]
ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
Pid=76477OEM

take a look at this article

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Your not even able to install, so activating is the least of your problems. Put is your xp disk, then navigate to the i386 folder ,then look at the file called setupp.ini. If it is an oem, it will look like this. I would bet money it is NOT an OEM disk

[Pid]
ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
Pid=76477OEM

take a look at this article

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Thanks Shanenin. I looked at the i386 folder. I had the same thing except Pid=76487oem. I'll look at your link. For now I hauled up my trusty PII-333 from my basement. It worked fine but painfully slow.

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.

Or,

click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).

Or,

clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

"You have successfully activated your copy of Windows".

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Not even able to pass the product key step. I'll keep the activation step in my favorite. Thanks.

I am glad nobody bet me, I would have lost money :-) Since your cd is OEM, the only other thing that comes to mind is one is home and one is professional(the key and the disk). Other then that, I am lost. I don't know any reason it would not be excepting your key. Did you get an "8" and "B" mixed up while typing?

I am glad nobody bet me, I would have lost money :-) Since your cd is OEM, the only other thing that comes to mind is one is home and one is professional(the key and the disk). Other then that, I am lost. I don't know any reason it would not be excepting your key. Did you get an "8" and "B" mixed up while typing?

Bingo! Happy ending. There is no way Windows could write anything on the install disc during previous installation. So I carefully compared what I wrote down the digits on the MS XP booklet with the digits on the jewel caes. Like you said, instead of BP7JP, I wrote down 8P7JP. Silly me, off I go to try again but I'll keep my PII at hand just in case. Thanks. :)