Chris Pirillo Challenge - Switch From Mac To Pc

Good list, Jeff and thank you. Daughter recently bought a Mac and this is teaching me the differences between what I'm used to and her newfangled idiotbox. She has already learned her *free* College music streaming program isn't Mac compatable "at this time" <_<

A tweak for number 32, just in case....Best Buy advertises Apple and wondering if their overpriced Geek Squad will set up an Apple computer in home??

And of course, "gigawatt to gigawatt", Macs are almost twice as expensive as PCs, at least that's what we discovered when looking at Dell, HP and Apple's laptops.

Liz

I know Apples are a little more then HP and Dell but I think twice as much for the same spec is a little off. I was at Dell looking for a 2.2 Core 2 Duo. There Core 2 Duo start at $999 but for a 1.66GHZ with 2mb onboard cache and I couldn't find a 2.2 with 4mb onboard but 2.0 starts at $1398.

What a lot of people want is for Apple to sell a more affordable laptop with cheaper AMD or Intel Celerons. But us appleheads seem to be snobby and when Apple sell less powerful machines they sit on shelfs. The less powerful iMacs, Macbooks and less memory ipods and iphones sell about half as many units as the only slightly better spec unites. I think this because of the tiny market share Apple has.

My equal opportunity Mac.

2278987109_e3afba3200.jpg

Hey Everyone,

This post is for anyone who does not read my blog, it's a list of 50 Reasons to Switch From Mac to PC. I think the list is pretty good, if you think something should be added or perhaps fixed, post it in the comments of the post.

50 Reasons to Switch From Mac to PC

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

B

What's a mac? :D

Random comments.

4. Free software is definitely more plentiful on the Windows side of the fence. While there are a number of free OSX applications, the ones that are decent usually require some kind of fee.

If you factor in the FLOSS that supports OS X I'm not sure that's true. The gap is certainly smaller than it might appear at first glance.

15. Now you can run Linux within Windows using a new Linux distribution called andLinux. By within Windows, I do not mean virtual machine, I'm talking within the actual Windows operating system.

That's not a clear win for Windows. The GNU userland supports OS X well enough, so all you're missing is Linux (the kernel), glibc, and a smallish number of non-portable programs.

19. On Windows you can easily reassign system folders to different drives such as, My Music, My Documents, My Videos, etc with a simple right-click and edit of the path. I have yet to find a way to do that with ease on OSX.

Symlinks? I suppose I might have different standards of "ease".

20. On Windows clicking the X actually means you're closing the application. No need to worry about it still running after you click X, I still do not understand why this isn't the case on OSX.

OS X doesn't identify windows and applications. There's a theory behind it but I can't recall the details at the moment. It's more sensible than the normal Windows behavior when you're dealing with multiwindow applications and applications that decouple their user-interfaces from other parts of the app.

(The difference between the systems is policy, not mechanism. Clicking the X in Windows doesn't close the application -- it doesn't necessarily even close the window -- but Windows apps tend the follow a policy of terminating when their primary or last window is closed. Windows apps can keep running without windows and OS X apps can terminate when their windows are closed.)

33. Uh... hello. Where's my right-click? Why can't Apple provide me with a mouse that has a right-click by default?

The Mighty Mouse (four buttons + 2D scroll) is standard now. At least according Apple Store.

[Edit: Fixed ellipses and smartquotes. The forums asked for Latin-1, so that's what they got....]

Edited by jcl

I agree with what you have said for the most part. I would like to comment on the following:

19. On Windows you can easily reassign system folders to different drives such as, My Music, My Documents, My Videos, etc with a simple right-click and edit of the path. I have yet to find a way to do that with ease on OSX.

Symlinks? I suppose I might have different standards of "ease".

20. On Windows clicking the X actually means you're closing the application. No need to worry about it still running after you click X, I still do not understand why this isn't the case on OSX.

OS X doesn't identify windows and applications. There's a theory behind it but I can't recall the details at the moment. It's more sensible than the normal Windows behavior when you're dealing with multiwindow applications and applications that decouple their user-interfaces from other parts of the app.

(The difference between the systems is policy, not mechanism. Clicking the X in Windows doesn't close the application -- it doesn't necessarily even close the window -- but Windows apps tend the follow a policy of terminating when their primary or last window is closed. Windows apps can keep running without windows and OS X apps can terminate when their windows are closed.)

Yes, symlinks are definitely a way to do that - I realize that, and as you noticed I mentioned with ease. I think its a pretty safe to say most new or average users would not know of a symlink or how to create one.

In terms of the X thing, yes I realize and I agree with what you said (hard not to since its the facts), but the fact of the matter is most Windows apps as you point out when you hit X they terminate and close. However, with that said, some Windows apps do not close when you hit X and it seems more and more are taking the approach which bugs me. Do I expect to much in assuming clicking X means I'm terminating the application that is running?

B

Do I expect to much in assuming clicking X means I'm terminating the application that is running?

Possibly. Do you assume that closing the window will terminate the app because that's the correct behavior or because that's the behavior to which you're accustomed?

In the context of their respective interfaces, I think both behaviors are correct. I think OS X's behavior is more correct than Windows's, but that's neither here nor there. (For the record, I think other aspects of Window are more correct than OS X.)

Edited by jcl
Do I expect to much in assuming clicking X means I'm terminating the application that is running?

Possibly. Do you assume that closing the window will terminate the app because that's the correct behavior or because that's the behavior to which you're accustomed?

In the context of their respective interfaces, I think both behaviors are correct. I think OS X's behavior is more correct than Windows's, but that's neither here nor there. (For the record, I think other aspects of Window are more correct than OS X.)

I assume that because that is what I am accustomed to.

Edit: While I realize it may be wrong from a programming/behavior perspective, I'm just used to that type of behavior based on my early experiences with Windows.

B

I assume that because that is what I am accustomed to.

That was a trick question: the answer is always "because I'm accustomed to it" ;)

Edit: While I realize it may be wrong from a programming/behavior perspective, I'm just used to that type of behavior based on my early experiences with Windows.

Actually, from a broader programming perspective, I think you're right and OS X is wrong. It really doesn't make sense that you can have headless applications sitting around. The problem is that there's a conflict between OS X's document-centric interface and process-centric architecture. You shouldn't have to worry about whether closing a window terminates the application because there shouldn't be applications: there should be documents and software components that present documents to users. Apple tried to move in that direction in the '90s with OpenDoc and failed. Unfortunately, OS X moved in the opposite direction by forcing Apple to layer a document interface on top of one of the most process-centric systems ever created: Unix. In that context OS X's behavior is correct. It's the context that's wrong.

(Oddly enough, Microsoft's document-centric effort, OLE, was largely successful, eventually leading to ActiveX. You actually can, sort of, just load a component to open an HTML document or Excel spreadsheet on Windows without worrying about applications, though the user-interface is still application-oriented. It's very weird.)

I'm a gamer and fansub viewer. Nuff said. My favorite games are primarily NOT on Mac and my favorite codec pack and video players for anime fansubs are not compatible with Mac either (or Linux :P ).

Plus I'd say Hardware is the biggest reason. Customization and upgradability (and building them yourself). Plus Mac has always confused the crap outta me. Guess what, Linux does too and I can use it on a PC. So I can use either a familiar or confusing OS on the same machine with a boot loader and it run full blast. If I'm not mistaken, performance takes a blow when using Boot Camp doesn't it?

Plus, I gotta oppose my brother somewhere :rolleyes: . He's a Mac head being all high and mighty stating his Audio recording and mixing software and stuff ain't PC compatible and that Mac's are superior. Well my PC has specs that absolutely humiliates his system and I have my own PC recording/mixing software (though free and not as capable as his, like Photoshop vs. GIMP) that I do minor audio work on.

Also, I will tell ya'll. I originally learned on a Mac in elementary school. It was confusing for me. I hated the things. The only thing I liked about them was Oregon Trail :P . Then my dad got a Windows 95 computer for us at home (we had a DOS system from the 80's before it, I never touched that one). Though the hardware was crap, using the computer was easier and I was able to learn it far easier. I've always found a PC less confusing for new users. There was a girl I went to college with last semester who had gotten a Mac laptop and regretted it big time and wished she had a Windows laptop like mine. She even borrowed mine once cause hers just confused her too much at one point.

If you run windows in bootcamp it's the same as running on a PC you actually have a Windows machine, well without a BIOS. I run XP virtually and it still flies.

But there is no reason to buy a Mac if your a Windows user. They both do the same thing just do it a little differently.

I believe Fansubs will play with Mplayer or VLC or installing the correct Quicktime codec. I know the Linux community are big into Fan Submission and if you tell them it can't be done on "nix" it will be done. That means opensource and that means everyone can play.

XP booting virtually on my Macbook.

I'm not going to get specific but some of those reasons "to switch" are basically saying, "Windows can do that too." Not exactly a compelling reason TO switch if you use a Mac. "So? I already have that feature, why should that be a REASON to switch?"

Some of the reasons are phrased in such a way as to say, "The Mac should do [this or that]" instead of explaining, clearly for those who don't use Windows, WHY those things are important or better. Such as "rightclick." WHY should the Mac have that? I know why, you know why, but Mac users may not, so it's not really a compelling argument TO switch.

Interesting to know Pirillo's behind this. I just found out last week he gave up on Windows (well, Vista).

good entry Jeff. I'm personally a fan of:

What is the coolest thing you can do using Linux that you can't do with Windows or on a Mac?

1. Upgrade to the newest version legally and without paying money

2. Have the latest version of the operating system run faster than the previous version on the same hardware

3. Easily install and run different graphical interfaces if I don't like the default setup

4. Install twenty programs with one command

5. Have the system automatically update all my installed programs for me.

6. Install the same copy of my OS (Ubuntu) on multiple computers without worrying about license restrictions or activation keys

7. Give away copies of the operating system and other programs that run on it without breaking any laws, governmental or ethical or moral, because it was all intended to be used this way

8. Have full control over my computer hardware and know that there are no secret back doors in my software, put there by malicious software companies or governments

9. Run without using a virus scanner, adware/spyware protection, and not reboot my computer for months, even when I do keep up with all of the latest security updates

10. Run my computer without needing to defragment my hard drive, ever

11. Try out software, decide I don't like it, uninstall it, and know that it didn't leave little bits of stuff in a registry that can build up and slow down my machine

12. Make a major mistake that requires a complete reinstallation and be able to do it in less than an hour, because I put all of my data on a separate partition from the operating system and program files

13. Boot into a desktop with flash and effects as cool as Windows Vista on a three year old computer...in less than 40 seconds, including the time it takes me to type my username and password to login

14. Customize anything I want, legally, including my favorite programs. I can even track down the software developers to ask them questions, contribute ideas, and get involved in the actual design/software writing process if I want to

15. Have 4+ word processor windows open working on papers, listen to music, play with flashy desktop effects, have contact with a largely happy community and have firefox, instant messaging, and email clients all open at the same time, without ever having had to beg someone for a code to make my os work, and without the system running so slow it is useless

16. Use the command "dpkg --get-selections > pkg.list" to make a full, detailed list of all software I have installed, backup my /etc and /home directories on a separate partition, and you are able to recover your system any time, easily

17. Run multiple desktops simultaneously, or even allow multiple users to log in and use the computer simultaneously

18. Resize a hard disk partition without having to delete it and without losing the data on it

19. Use the same hardware for more than 5 years before it really needs to be replaced...I have some hardware that is nearly 10 years old, running Linux, and still useful

20. Browse the web while the OS is being installed!

21. Use almost any hardware and have a driver for it included with the operating system...eliminating the need to scour the internet to find the hardware manufacturer's website to locate one

22. Get the source code for almost anything, including the OS kernel and most of my applications

http://matthewhelmke.net/index.php/2008/02...ows-or-on-a-mac

Not quite 50, but whatever...

JDoors all Macs right click always have all Mac come with a mighty mouse people just don't know or see this because the mighty mouse has no buttons for right and left because it uses proximity sensor. To right click you have to use your middle finger without using your pointer at the same time. Actually apple can support as many buttons as you can put on a mouse.

hitest, I cloned my XP install to a USB hard drive so I can use the same install on both my macbook and imac. Because I registered it inside VMware I can use the same XP on as many intel macs as I like. Also I have a portable Ubuntu and I'm downloading a portable version of BeOS called Haiku. And I think I'll give Slackware a try also.

Hey Everyone,

This post is for anyone who does not read my blog, it's a list of 50 Reasons to Switch From Mac to PC. I think the list is pretty good, if you think something should be added or perhaps fixed, post it in the comments of the post.

50 Reasons to Switch From Mac to PC

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

B

What's a mac? :D

you stole my post joe i was going to ask that

so i will rephrase it

whats a mac

is it a macken tosh or apple

and is there any diffefernce

marty

Mac is short for Macintosh. Or it was. Mac has been more common since... around the introduction of the iMac, I guess, though it wasn't uncommon before then.

Apple is the company that created the Mac.

Real quick history:

Apple is the company and was the original name of the computer line. In the early 80's Apple started a new Macintosh division with a different OS. 1984 was the official beginning of Macintosh with the infamous 1984 superbowl TV ad.

Steve Jobs leaves Apple starts NeXT computer, Apple goes through many CEO's and get run into the ground, Steve comes back with NeXT OS. Introduces the fruit imacs and ibooks, company saved from bankruptcy. 2001 Apple releases OS X (Steves NeXT OS) totally new OS. 2005 Apple switches from PPC to Intel and we are now at the 5th version of OS X 10.5

If you run windows in bootcamp it's the same as running on a PC you actually have a Windows machine, well without a BIOS. I run XP virtually and it still flies.

But there is no reason to buy a Mac if your a Windows user. They both do the same thing just do it a little differently.

I believe Fansubs will play with Mplayer or VLC or installing the correct Quicktime codec. I know the Linux community are big into Fan Submission and if you tell them it can't be done on "nix" it will be done. That means opensource and that means everyone can play.

XP booting virtually on my Macbook.

Very nice! How much RAM do you have?

By the way, I like the quick recovery move when you go to close explorer... *mouse to the left....QUICK RIGHT!* :lol:

That Macbook Air music is very catch, who is the artist? :P

B