Yankees Go Home

Clevland Indians total team pay = $66mill

NY Yankees total team pay = $212mill :blink:

I feel sorry for Torre, but Im glad the Yanks are outta the race.

I feel sorry for Torre too. He is one of the classiest skippers that I've ever seen.

On the other hand, I'm also sorry about blowing the possibility of a title every year since 2000.

Might be a time for a change.

The buzz already is Tony La Russa. But I have a feeling that Sweet Lou Pinella is also going to be looking for a job soon. THAT would be interesting if King George hired him. Or as Yogi Berra said: "It would be like deja vu all over again".

I feel sorry for Torre too. He is one of the classiest skippers that I've ever seen.

On the other hand, I'm also sorry about blowing the possibility of a title every year since 2000.

The buzz already is Tony La Russa. But I have a feeling that Sweet Lou Pinella is also going to be looking for a job soon. THAT would be interesting if King George hired him. Or as Yogi Berra said: "It would be like deja vu all over again".

"King George" needs to concentrate on what he REALLY needs - Why the Yankees spend 212 MILLION, and cannot win a title in 7 years tells me that maybe what they ought to do is look at what is lacking. I don't think Torre is the problem, but instead think that the Yankees blow money on things they don't need. What about the PITCHING of the team. My Brother Mike says that the reason that the Yankees are losing is because of the lack of good pitchers that they have. They send Wong and others out there and they get shelled - That shows me that they need better PITCHING, and not so much hitters. Yankees also need to pratice fielding - did you see how many hits the indians had, and how badly they were handled in some cases?

The Yankees need to go back to basics in my opinion - They have all the money and the world, and they still lose - If they have young talent that they bring up, then they can help them become great - To Make that happen, you need a good management team, and you also need a good coaching staff, and you also need good pitching, and the Yankees have not been focusing on that - to win games, you have to get OUTS, so that your team can get HITS and RUNS - simple as that!

Torre may be on his way out, but lets hope that the Yankees have better fiscal management as well - You can't keep throwing money at the same team of players and expect greatness every year - they are not robotic machines, and maybe its time that "King George" looks at what he has, rather then to blow more money ;)

My .02 (from a redsox fan)

Brian

"King George" needs to concentrate on what he REALLY needs - Why the Yankees spend 212 MILLION, and cannot win a title in 7 years tells me that maybe what they ought to do is look at what is lacking. I don't think Torre is the problem, but instead think that the Yankees blow money on things they don't need. What about the PITCHING of the team. My Brother Mike says that the reason that the Yankees are losing is because of the lack of good pitchers that they have. They send Wong and others out there and they get shelled - That shows me that they need better PITCHING, and not so much hitters. Yankees also need to pratice fielding - did you see how many hits the indians had, and how badly they were handled in some cases?

The Yankees need to go back to basics in my opinion - They have all the money and the world, and they still lose - If they have young talent that they bring up, then they can help them become great - To Make that happen, you need a good management team, and you also need a good coaching staff, and you also need good pitching, and the Yankees have not been focusing on that - to win games, you have to get OUTS, so that your team can get HITS and RUNS - simple as that!

Torre may be on his way out, but lets hope that the Yankees have better fiscal management as well - You can't keep throwing money at the same team of players and expect greatness every year - they are not robotic machines, and maybe its time that "King George" looks at what he has, rather then to blow more money ;)

My .02 (from a redsox fan)

Brian

Yes, I totaly agree. Let's hope they don't get another Wong to send out there.

After all, two Wongs don't make a right pitching staff.

Considering most of the baseball world gave up on the Yankees before mid-season I think they did great. I'm glad they took that fork in the road when it presented itself and turned the AL East into quite a race.

Yeah, they are a high salaried team... but as long as the owners allow such inequity between teams such will be the case. The whole key is to get the best bang for the buck both in the regular season AND in the post-season (In a short series anything can happen).

Considering all the garbage players have to put up with (media, etc.) in N.Y. compared to other markets (it's a business remember) I think their salaries (while still too high) should be higher than smaller market teams. I never have believed throwing money at a player made them a better player... it made them more of a commodity to be traded around. Granted, having the money to acqire a lineup with many excellant players will get you to the dance more often... they still have to perform in that pressure cooker of a short series. Have the owners agree to have the same salary caps (like that's going to happen) and then let's see what kind of (yawn) races we get.

What the Yankees need is to be able to hit left-handed pitchers better and some better mid-relief. Their pitching staff was really banged up early on... I'm still amazed they made it to the playoffs.

So Wong had two bad starts in the series... stuff happens... he was one big reason the Yankees made it that far. He falters, Torre 'yanks' him... that's baseball. The Indians played great and I hope they continue to do well.

I'll miss Torre... he was Yankee class all the way as manager.

Considering most of the baseball world gave up on the Yankees before mid-season I think they did great. I'm glad they took that fork in the road when it presented itself and turned the AL East into quite a race.

Yeah, they are a high salaried team... but as long as the owners allow such inequity between teams such will be the case. The whole key is to get the best bang for the buck both in the regular season AND in the post-season (In a short series anything can happen).

Considering all the garbage players have to put up with (media, etc.) in N.Y. compared to other markets (it's a business remember) I think their salaries (while still too high) should be higher than smaller market teams. I never have believed throwing money at a player made them a better player... it made them more of a commodity to be traded around. Granted, having the money to acqire a lineup with many excellant players will get you to the dance more often... they still have to perform in that pressure cooker of a short series. Have the owners agree to have the same salary caps (like that's going to happen) and then let's see what kind of (yawn) races we get.

What the Yankees need is to be able to hit left-handed pitchers better and some better mid-relief. Their pitching staff was really banged up early on... I'm still amazed they made it to the playoffs.

So Wong had two bad starts in the series... stuff happens... he was one big reason the Yankees made it that far. He falters, Torre 'yanks' him... that's baseball. The Indians played great and I hope they continue to do well.

I'll miss Torre... he was Yankee class all the way as manager.

I couldn't agree more with anything you said, bobby. I am a Yankee's fan myself, and I hate when people, especially when fans (of the opposite team or same team) and sports casters go on and on about the players salary or team salary. To me, the payroll of a team or salary of an individual player is the least of the concern and not the cause of whether who wins and who loses as was clearly shown. In fact, to even bring that up, I think is pointless, especially nowadays where the numbers that are getting thrown around are just crazy. Again, just going on with what bobby said, in a short series anything can happen. If you think for one minute that what the Yankees did this year, come back and actually put a scare in the Red Sox isn't amazing, then you should get your sports head checked. ;)

Nonetheless, the Yankees had a decent year, they definitely stepped it up a notch in the end showing everyone that they weren't going to let it go and not make the playoffs, which if they didn't I would call the season a complete failure. Also, Yankee fans are accustomed to winning, that is what it's about. In a city like NY, you can't deny the fact people are more interested in winning and big market teams. NYC is all about big markets. We need a team with a big payroll or no one would come.

And, let me just say, for the Yankee's fans who got on A-rod's back over the years, just well, for lack of better words... grow up. He's a human being who has spectacular talent (baseball), sure we would like him to produce and it all goes back to being in NY once again, but you don't need to boo him. What kind of fan are you, if you would boo your own team. Under no circumstances would I ever boo my team (well, maybe the Knicks...but let's not get into that), if anything give him the confidence he needs. He's shown you what he can do, we know he can. He may be fragile, but then, wouldn't it make sense that booing wouldn't help?

B

And, let me just say, for the Yankee's fans who got on A-rod's back over the years, just well, for lack of better words... grow up. He's a human being who has spectacular talent (baseball), sure we would like him to produce and it all goes back to being in NY once again, but you don't need to boo him. What kind of fan are you, if you would boo your own team. Under no circumstances would I ever boo my team (well, maybe the Knicks...but let's not get into that), if anything give him the confidence he needs. He's shown you what he can do, we know he can. He may be fragile, but then, wouldn't it make sense that booing wouldn't help?

B

Booing your own team is counter productive. I believe a fan should encourage his team. Let them know you are with them, in good times and bad. They are well aware when they are not playing as they are capable of, and booing them does not help them to play better. I think they play worse because then they try too hard.

I'm not a Yankee fan. I'm a Red Sox fan. I love the rivalry between our teams. It took a long time for Red Sox to finally win a World Series. I have been a fan since 50's, and never booed my team once. A lot of disappointments, but they are my team. If we do not go or win the WS, well there is always next year.

As for Joe Torre, he is a class act. If the Yankees fire him, he will not be out of a job long. There are many teams that would love to have him.

Congratulations to Cleveland Indians. I'm waiting for you at Fenway. :lol: May the best team win.

Not to leave out the National League, congratulations to D/backs and Rockies. :thumbsup:

Barb :D