Directv Installer's Work

That's a natural mistake.

Uh-hem.

OK, ok, I did something similar when I installed a garage door opener. I propped the rail on the rung of a ladder to make it easier to mount the motor. Now I had the rail attached to the garage at one end, run through a ladder, and a large motor at the end. Great, if I wanted a ladder permanently hanging in the center of the garage ...

The idiot I work with would cut the top rung off the ladder instead of redoing the brace. :rolleyes:

Does he also work Ohio? I know a guy that would do the same thing. Even in the middle of the ladder

Mark

Reminds me of my recent adventure with DirectTV.

Had a "searching for signal" on the box but everything looked okay so I did the recommended trouble shooting.

Unplug box and wait five minutes. Plug in and let it acquire signal . => NO GO Searching for signal.

Power off, open slot, remove card, press reset button, insert card and power on. => NO GO Searching for signal.

Got out my sat finder signal meter. Getting voltage from box, no signal from Dish. Test at dish, nothing.

Replace all coax from box to dish. Try again, no signal from disk at box, signal at disk and voltage at dish, but signal seems below strength.

Take down dish, clean it , connect with short lead , setting it on deck chair just to see if I get a signal strength change.

Box locks on satellite and perfect signal. Hooray, must just have been dirty. Take back up. Signal again weak, lock on with sat finder, go down find out that since dish was initially installed they have added more satellites. Where once was one ,now are six. Have to keep realigning to get right one. Signal never goes over 32%. Check for blockages (trim trees even ones not near line of site) No change.

Buy inline signal amplifier and install it at dish. Hooray, signal strength now 95% or better. (Where it always was in the past.)

Probably just age, or the weather (lots of thunderstorms this year and lots of rain. Dish was all black with mildew>)

Conclude LNA (Low Noise Amp) is failing . Call DirectTV to see if they sell replacements .

Get told that they can send technician, but can't sell me new LNA.

Explain I do not need technician. Explain what I have done. Explain conclusion . Explain everything working now with inline amp, but that it stands to reason that LNA is failing and should be replaced.

Am told must have technician visit at my expense.

Say no thanks, go to store which sells satellite dishes, find that new dish with three satellite capacity and triple amp costs $49.00 only ten percent of systems original cost.

Wonder if threatening to switch from DirectTV to Dish Network would get them to sell me an amp , but conclude that just buying new dish is simplest solution.

Definitely do not want to pay some moron who knows less than I do $49 per hour to sort things out. Especially when he sees the 12' mast on top of the house that the dish is on . I could just see him taking that down rather than going up and removing the dish or LNA from it.

Edited by Pete_C

LOL..well Pete..if it makes you feel any better...i'm going thru the same scenario with DISH...my LNA's are both over 9 years old and failing...since i don't lease this equipment..and have been paying monthly for an extended "warranty" i figured they would just send me out a new set...but no..they too want me to foot the bill for a technician visit.. i was ready to switch to directTV but looks like they are just the same...makes me mad when i think of how much money i've sent them every year for the past nine..

wayne

Edited by screi