Alright well I've got an Intel Mobo and CPU in a spare computer I'm building. The CPU fan (Thermaltake) on it was extremely loud so I wondered if maybe I could take the Thermaltake heatsink and fan from my old AMD and set it in place of the Intel heatsink and fan. I realize I can't be sure if it's in the right place on the chip so I'm not sure if that will create issues. I tried booting up and looking at the Fan speed in the Bios the AMD fan ran about 4800 RPM and kept it around 70 C, the Intel fan however ran about 6500 and kept it around 85 C so I figure the AMD fan is better even though it's just sitting on the chip and not clamped down or anything. Is there anything that I should be worried about if maybe the heatsink isn't centered on the chip?

*EDIT*

I'm setting a Socket A heatsink and fan on a Socket 478 CPU. At least I was till I removed the fan from the Socket A heatsink and lightly screwed it onto the Socket 478 heatsink.

Edited by SN3AK
Alright well I've got an Intel Mobo and CPU in a spare computer I'm building. The CPU fan (Thermaltake) on it was extremely loud so I wondered if maybe I could take the Thermaltake heatsink and fan from my old AMD and set it in place of the Intel heatsink and fan. I realize I can't be sure if it's in the right place on the chip so I'm not sure if that will create issues. I tried booting up and looking at the Fan speed in the Bios the AMD fan ran about 4800 RPM and kept it around 70 C, the Intel fan however ran about 6500 and kept it around 85 C so I figure the AMD fan is better even though it's just sitting on the chip and not clamped down or anything. Is there anything that I should be worried about if maybe the heatsink isn't centered on the chip?

Not being clamped down it will come loose and then you will have problems. Heat sink and fans are pretty cheap.

Is that a P4? Pentium 4 CPUs can get that hot even while idle. However, if you do find that the temperatures are going into the 100s then you may want to get a decent HSF altogether or do tidy up inside your computer case to improve air-flow.

I would not try mix and match without checking all the specs.

Chances are that if it is quieter and runs slower it has lower Cubic Foot per Minute airflow and will not be good enough .

I would suggest you find another heatsink / fan combo which is designed for your chip but is rated at lower sound levels.