Surge Protectors

Reading the problems TT had with his computer doing a burnout, I thought I would share this.

My brother in law, the one who gets all the free work, nearly had a house fire a few weeks back. Just as his wife was getting home she noticed smoke in the house. The alarm company had the local vol fire department on the way. They put the fire out, just starting behind the entertainment center in the living room. As the were standing around the lights got super bright, one of the firemen killed power to the house and called the electric company. Come to find out something happened on the line, to much power came into the home. There were two surge protectors plugged to the outlet near the fire. El cheapo, it started the small fire. Midrange ,$40ish at wal-mart, protected the equipment plugged to it. He now has new surge protectors through out the house.

Oh the house was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Lily a few yews back. He rebuilt the interior of the house because the water damage then, so this is not an old house with old wiring.

Moral: You get what you pay for. There is a difference between cheap and economical. Was in no way implying the TT is cheap, but when it comes to protection we should NEVER choose cheap. Sorry to here about your situation TT. I know you will come out on top.

M

I lucked out and got an industrial surge protector through work, but it's really past due to be replaced (another issue: They don't last forever). Maybe Santa Claus will have one in his sleigh?

Of course. Rudolph's nose has to be protected...

Thanks for the advice, I think a few of mine are due for replacement here, i've been getting a little lazy lately with the backing up and protection but now that finals are over its time to play catch-up.

I have surge protection installed right in my electric panels plus I use a Belkin UPS for the PCs. I traced the cause of my problem to my 6 year old PSU. Back when I purchased it the PSU was considered one of the best units and overkill for my system. The caps couldn't take the stress anymore due to age and burst setting some dust/dog hair buildup on fire. I blow the dust out of everything a couple times a year but I didn't get to it because of work. The forced air furnace has been running for a month and the dust built up quickly.

http://www.smarthome.com/4870.html

This affordable surge protector is suitable for homes with main breaker panel capacities up to 400 amps. Designed for 120/240 volt single or split-phase service. Install this unit next to your breaker panel closest to where the electrical service enters your home. You will need two dedicated 15-amp circuit breakers available at a home improvement center.

http://www.lightningrodparts.com/surge.html

Where there is a risk of overvoltage due to local lightning storms, or bad wiring (old transformers or lines of different voltages accidentally connecting and sending huge surges down to your house) I like the added level of protection these will provide.

While they may not necessarily be fast enough to protect electronics all by themselves; they will protect your home.

I also like having kitchen and bath and outdoor circuits with GFCI circuit breakers.

... I also like having kitchen and bath and outdoor circuits with GFCI circuit breakers.
That's pretty much been code for ... forever. My house is 22 years old and it's got GFI circuits for the baths and garage (though ... not in the kitchen ... Hmm -- I seem to remember something about too many false triggers in kitchens so they're not required there by code).

I like the idea of whole-house surge protection, but the cost is prohibitive for me (parts & labor). At my old job I knew the electricians and could get work done by bartering ... no such luck now. I can do minor work, but rewiring at the breaker box? Uh, no. :(

... I also like having kitchen and bath and outdoor circuits with GFCI circuit breakers.
That's pretty much been code for ... forever. My house is 22 years old and it's got GFI circuits for the baths and garage (though ... not in the kitchen ... Hmm -- I seem to remember something about too many false triggers in kitchens so they're not required there by code).

I like the idea of whole-house surge protection, but the cost is prohibitive for me (parts & labor). At my old job I knew the electricians and could get work done by bartering ... no such luck now. I can do minor work, but rewiring at the breaker box? Uh, no. :(

It's a good idea to check them evry so often. They DO go bad. GFCI outlets more often then breakers, but still why risk it

Mark

It's a good idea to check them evry so often. They DO go bad. GFCI outlets more often then breakers, but still why risk it

Mark

Dang! Some more good advice! The "Test" button is sufficient for checking GFI's, so you should press it occasionally just to be sure.

There's no way to check a breaker really, is there? Other than snapping it off or on, not that that would test whether or not it will work when needed.

And since surge protectors "wear out," why don't THEY have test buttons? Other than just guessing at whether they're worn out or not, shouldn't there be some built-in way of testing them?

To check a breaker ; use a voltmeter and check the voltage to ground on each side.

If there is more than a one or two volt (1 or 2 percent) difference; consider how much wasted

electricity is being lost and how much heat you are putting into the box. (2V x 15 A => 30Watt)

Time to get an electrician over pronto ( or if you are comfortable doing it and it is allowed in your community replace the breaker yourself) Never replace with a larger breaker; remember it is protecting the wiring not the stuff you connect.

I like the GFCI in the breaker box which have a green LED to show they are active; but still like the test button occaisionally.