My computer keeps freezing completely. No response from Ctrl + Alt + Del. I can't even turn Num Lock on and off. It just halts 100%.

I have no idea why this is happening.

No error logs or messages

It happens at random times.

No new hardware

No viruses/spyware

Haven't changed any settings in months.

:(

My computer keeps freezing completely. No response from Ctrl + Alt + Del. I can't even turn Num Lock on and off. It just halts 100%.

No new hardware

No viruses/spyware

Could be from heat, bad memory or software installed. When is the last time you cleaned out the inside of the case? Have you installed any new software? You can try checking the memory by testing it or trying another known good chip in the first slot. memtest86.com has a memory tester for free.

• 3 weeks later...

No new hardware

No viruses/spyware

A complete freeze where ctrl+alt+del has no effect means that the CPU is not accepting input.

(If it froze, and moving your mouse seemed to do nothing; but c+a+d did then you know the CPU is accepting input but the video card is locked up displaying the last frame it generated).

It is unlikely that software (virus or spyware) would be the cause. IT is highly probable that this is either power, heat , motherboard, or processor related. Most common would be an unstable power supply or overheating.

Remember it is now heating season. Make sure your computer is not located by a heat vent output.

The next thing to do is to get a can of compressed air for computer cleaning; unplug and open the case and blow out the dust bunnies, paying special attention to the cpu heatsink and to the power supply fan.

If this does not solve it (some would recommend leaving the case open with a box fan blowing in so you can verify that fans are running and there is good cooling air.) I would recommend using a system information tool such as everest home to check your temperatures and voltages and fan speeds and see if any fluctuate widely or go out of the safe range.

If voltages are outside of 5% variance, or if they fluctuate; time to get a new power supply.

If fan speeds vary , and you do not have variable speed fans; new fans.

If all looks good at this point; well then the troubleshooting becomes more complex.

Things like disconnecting unneeded PCI cards and drives; running it with bare minimum stuff installed.

Things like testing your motherboard or CPU are normally done by the "known good " method.

IE you put a "known good" CPU in your board and put your CPU in a "known good" board to test and see if the problem occurs in either. This is how a shop would test them in most cases (if they bothered. Most would just clean install windows ,charge you fifty bucks and say it was fixed).