New Project: Building A Router

Ok, on my quest for better VOIP quality, Im going to build my own router using spare parts and with a budget of around $50. Im going to use this as a router with QOS management, print server, firewall, and eventually a file server.

The base machine is an AMD Athlon 900mhz, 512MB ram, and a 5 gig hard drive. Tonight Ill be ordering 5 PCI NICs, as well as a KVM switch.

Now, I need help on a couple things.

1) What would be a good Linux distro for this? It needs to fit on a 5 gig hard drive. No fancy features needed. (Freesco is out of the question)

2) The main purpose of this home-made router is to improve my phone calls. How do I go about doing this? I need the NIC with my VOnage adapter to have priority over everything else.

Thanks BT,

Bubba

There's really no need for five NICs on the actual router. What you need is two NICs and a simple switch: one NIC for the WAN side of the router and the other NIC connected directly to the switch which then in turn connects to your other computers.