Going To The Stones Concert Tonite!

Hiya Peeps!

Man, this is gonna be good!!

We have 2 shows in Regina, the only stop on the tour where they agreed to add a second show...I wonder when Regina got to be such a big Metropolitan Center as to get 2 Rolling Stones concerts..

Anyway, the folks that went to the first show on Friday night are just RAVING about it. Huge 18 x 60 meter stage (60' high x 196' wide), with a long center walkway that most everyone thinks is just that...a walkway. But in reality, the ENTIRE STAGE moves forward on this thing by 40' or so. I hear it's quite the spectacle just to watch that huge stage move like that.

They're starting off with "Jumpin Jack Flash" instead of what everyone would think they would've with "Start Me Up", but all their major hits are covered in this show.

Weather on Friday was 18C but it's considerably cooler today and by showtime is going to be only 3C or so. I'm already getting the longjohns ready and putting the hood on my warm jacket. I don't care what the darn weather is really....this is the 2nd time I'll have seen the Stones in my life (probably the last too), and I'm gonna have a DARN GOOD TIME!!

C'ya all later!

I love the stones, probably my all time favorite. I love the blues, and the stones have very strong blues roots. Enjoy the concert :-)

I remember watching Keith Richards talk about Robert Johnson's influence on the Stones. Very impressive.

Edited by irregularjoe

hope you have a great time. The Stones have always put on a great show. I've seen them 5 times and really enjoyed every one. First time was in 1965 hehe. Last time was in 1985

Wow!! To even be able to say you saw the Stones in concert is awesome! Hope you had a great time, hope you stayed warm and hope no one fell off the stage or out of a pine tree! (thank God coconuts don't grow in Canada)

Liz

Well, as expected it was GREAT!!!

What a show these guys put on! A 6 storey high by 180 some feet wide stage that the entire thing is a huge Video screen thingy with band closeups and other effects on it...wow...now that's a"Big screen TV"!

During the show a section of the center of the stage moves out with the band on it, all the way out to center field from the back of the end-zone where it sat. Then they do a couple songs out there for the crowd and later it moves back into the main stage again, while a HUGE blowup ballon of the giant "red lips & tounge" inflates above.

Something I learned too, Regina is only the 2nd place EVER to get a second Stones show in the same tour!!! Twickenham England was the only other time that happened so I guess we made quite an impression on them.

Mick actually talked at length about how relaxing it is here without all the rabid press and fans hounding them constantly, and that they've used this time to relax.

Anyway, they played Most of their old hits as there simply isn't enough time to do them all of course. It was a cool nite and Ron Woods kept having to stop playing a bit to warm his fingers over a space heater...LOL!!

And Keith Richards...man does he look used up! He never was much of a guitar player really (you have to admit that) but he actually sings rather well, as he did a couple of blues solo's, albeit with rather mundane guitar work, but great sax and horn backup.

The sound was kinda crappy but nobody has ever accused them of being the best musicians in the world...but their show and Micks stage presence command your complete attention, and to have that energy at this age is phenomenal to say the least!! Nobody left disappionted as far as I could tell, not me, not my friends, nor the gorgeous natural redhead with bright green eyes that sat beside me and shared my binoculars (and my attention...)...;)

After the show she held my shoulders while I made a path for us out of the stadium, she was a bit leary of the crowds so it was my duty to help her really....honest, that's all...

Alas, she was as sweet as sugar cane but too young for me to consider being anything other than my usual friendly self, but the type to make a man wish he were 20 years the younger.

Oh, I got off track there, sorry.

Well on the bus ride home we were VERY NEARLY KILLED!!!!, not a word of lie here, scared the crap outta me and I'm not easily swayed to that.

The bus was very full, and somewhat right-side heavy along with the aisle's full with standing passengers. This driver gets out on an inner highway kinda deal, gets up to about 50MPH, and the bus starts to VIOLENTLY oscillate from side to side....seriously, the wheels were actually coming OFF THE ROAD! And we're top-heavy with people standing already, plus when you try to keep your balance it actually makes it worse, this was not getting better but WORSE!!!

And this guy never slowed down...People were screaming and after it got so bad that some gilrls started crying, I yelled at him (I'm standing in the middle at the door, so I yelled loud) to slow down to stop the rocking!! Finally he slowed and the bus stopped it's crazy ride...but what does this guy do???

He boots it again...the bus starts going again, gets worse...and he keeps his foot on the gas...good god!

Women around me were shaking in fear and hanging on for dear life, my friend is standing in the steps of the middle door and he said all he could see was pavement, sky, pavement, sky...and this idiot driver just keeps on truckin! You could hear the tires screech as they came off and then contacted the pavement again.

This time I finally screamed at the top of my lungs at him to SLOW THE F**K DOWN, or I would come up there, throw him off the bus, and drive us there myself!! He finally got the message...many people thanked me when we got off the bus but all I wanted to do was go grab this bugger and clock him one. Luckily for him I was talked out of it as we all are going to contact the Transit service with the bus number and complain. Good Lord...I don't scare easy but that got my ticker going for sure and so many ladies were crying as they got off it was just NUTS!

Well, that my Stones Concert stories in a nutshell. So much more but this is long enough, I need to get to bed. I didn't get home till 3:30am (after party ya know) and not to bed till after 5, so I'm tired.

Take Care y'all!

And remember, when your life is in someone else's hands and they're NOT taking care of it properly....DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!. Never die because of someone else when you have a chance to avoid it, stand up for your Safety!

Sounds like you had some Satisfaction, Chappy :D

I specifically remember watching Mick and the Boys on the Ed Sullivan Show in '63 maybe?

Went to school the next day and the nuns were vehemently stating how this was truly the end of the world if these sinners were allowed to be on TV. Of course that made it all the better for us sinners :P

One of my friends at the time said that his father (who was in the music biz) believed that the Stones would be bigger than the Beatles. I always remember that. In a way, I think he was correct.

Sorry the redhead didn't work out. But remember, You can't always get what you want.....but if you try sometime....you just might find....to get what you need!

Joe

Rolling%20Stones%201%20Large%20Filr.JPG

Edited by irregularjoe

Well, that was MY decision about her my friend, so I have no idea how it could have actually worked out, but no doubt she was interested in me as I was in her. But age is a huge factor even tho we'd like to think it's not, and a one night stand is not who I am.

She was something else tho...I won't forget those eyes for a long time.

Aside from our Fanatical, Suicidal bus driver, it was a very good time indeed!

While I don't believe (musically influential, or talent wise) the Stones are bigger than the Beatles, they certainly have withstood the test of time (and drugs) to outlast any band from their era and continue touring. The only other band to keep going this long, but were a few years after the Stones, has been Pink Floyd, and PF has had more influence over Rock music I believe. Hard to say really, who had more influence I guess. I have young teens rave about PF when I wear my "Wish you were here" pullover, and the age grouping from this concert was from 13 to 80...so it's hard to say.

Well, that was MY decision about her my friend, so I have no idea how it could have actually worked out, but no doubt she was interested in me as I was in her. But age is a huge factor even tho we'd like to think it's not, and a one night stand is not who I am.

She was something else tho...I won't forget those eyes for a long time.

Aside from our Fanatical, Suicidal bus driver, it was a very good time indeed!

While I don't believe (musically influential, or talent wise) the Stones are bigger than the Beatles, they certainly have withstood the test of time (and drugs) to outlast any band from their era and continue touring. The only other band to keep going this long, but were a few years after the Stones, has been Pink Floyd, and PF has had more influence over Rock music I believe. Hard to say really, who had more influence I guess. I have young teens rave about PF when I wear my "Wish you were here" pullover, and the age grouping from this concert was from 13 to 80...so it's hard to say.

Bigger is the operative word, not better. And as you stated, the Stones are still going strong. That's bigger.

Sure the Beatles are better writers and musicians (even though McCartney never bothered to learn how to read music...I always thought that was odd).

But the Stones always had that something extra as performers. And they modeled a lot of their style on original Black music, Robert Johnson for one.

So in my mind The Beatles certainly had the musicianship. But the Stones had the soul. And in pop music, I think soul matters more. We are not talking Bach or Mahler here.

As far as the redhead, I was just kidding with you, no need to be defensive. :thumbsup:

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

I agree. When I listen to the Stones, it has an effect on my soul(insides). I am sure this is because of their strong blues roots.

As a kid growing up(in the mid 80s) I liked groups like: led zeppelin, stones, jimmy hendrix. In retrospect, this was because those groups all have strong blues roots. I love the blues :-)

by the way I obtained some Robert Johnson, I like him. Those original recodings are so old, it was very crackely. That seemed to add something positive to it(clear would be nice also).

Edited by shanenin
As far as the redhead, I was just kidding with you, no need to be defensive.

Sorry Joe, I didn't realize that it may sound defensive...

No, it wasn't that way at all my friend, I was simply explaining a bit more about my feelings and reasoning is all.

I was sorely tempted, no doubt there, but it couldn't possibly become anything more than a one niter, and I wouldn't do that to such a sweet thing.

Yah, I do agree with you about the Soul of the Stones, and that is exactly why they are so huge still today. That and the fact that Mick just absolutely DEMANDS your attention on stage...that man has a presence that's larger than the stage itself.