Getting A Macbook Pro Next Week!

Im proud to accounce that i will be the proud father of MacBook Pro by next week. I just started college today and really need a laptop. I know there is many people who hate Mac but again, i pick Mac for a reason. Mac is great with graphical and movie editing. So i am the Art major.

I should wait to get that Leopard but i have no time and really need a laptop, so i will upgrade my Tiger to Leopard when it come out. So excited right now.

but Question...... Should i get a Office Mac Edition or just get OpenOffice? Let you know, on my pc, my default office is OpenOffice and never have a problem with it. but again, in College... im taking a English class, there will be a lot of essay going on. So im lending on OpenOffice, what you think? And Why?

Edited by DarkestDream

You're an Art Major, DD? I was, too! (a hundred years ago) You'll have to tell us all about your classes!

Good for you for getting a Mac. The very first time I tinkered on a "modern" (non DOS) computer, it was a Mac and I (yes, I) actually understood how it worked! Only reason I use Windows now is because the kids school stuff is all windows, and Macs are too expensive for poor ol' me. But someday when the kids are gone, I'm getting a Mac!

As far as a word processor thing, Daughter is a writer and likes MSWord ONLY because that's what she learned on so she doesn't have to think about the operating system while she is writing. I humbly say, use what you're comfortable with so you can concentrate on the words you write, not the format/learning curve of the system. Will get you a better grade and make you a better writer.

Liz

Go open office man. why spend money on M$?

Should be getting a laptop myself in the near future. More than likely it'll be an HP or Compaq with a Turion 64 (hopefully an X2) processor and maybe a GeForce 6150 Chip or I may snag on with just a Turion 64 and a Radeon X700 as much as I hate ATI. I may just wait so my dad can save up enough along with my own cash to get a real sweet one with a GeForce Go 7800 or 7900. I've spotted one with a GeForce go 7600 that I'd like to have from HP. Maybe that's what I'll get.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I personally like Open Office:-) I find that I'm able to save, modify word docs with OO. But, I would use the word processor that you feel comfortable using.

Very cool you're getting a Macbook Pro laptop; that is a beautiful system. Unix rules! :thumbsup:

i would also recomend Open Office. it has come a long way from the little alternitive to MS Office. i have used both on my Macs & PCs and i belive that Open Office is close to catching up to being just as good and of course the price is had to negociate to lower.

but in the end i also agree that for most users go with what your mostly comfortabile with if your worried about learning a new program.

Congratulations on the Macbook Pro. I use open office but you may be able to get Mac Office pretty cheap through your school. MS Office for Mac is really nice, if I was going to use it a lot and could get it dirt cheap I would.

i ordered a Mac Edition Office. got it for 100 dollars with rebate. i have reason. im very comfortable with my OpenOffice, but again, REASON!

OO Impress..... it have more problems than Powerpoint do. the Animation didnt work well if i save it as in MS format, and the font entirely messed up. that goes for some OO.o apps. so im use Mac Edition Office for backups.

HEy guys, it been like 3 days with my MacBook, and im still loving it. haha.

I already got my Office and installed it. I tired to install OpenOffice but the problem is it required X11 to work. I went to apple.com and they told me to download this X11 project. so i am downloading it and need to torrent download OO.o again....

i love their .dmg system, it really great. Just move the icon to the apps folder and it will install it for you. some already have it own installers like Office and OO.o

Now off to exploring the world of mac

AMEND: i just found out i aready have X11 installed..... but i forgot to use the .pkg to install the OO.o. stupid of me. now i cant torrnet download oo.o because im on the school network and it will violated their TOA. so will do that at home

I went to Frys to buy flash drive. and got Corsair Flash Voyagar 1GB, it should be 50 bucks but it on sale and reduce to 35 bucks. but i will get it at 15 bucks with rebate. woot woot. what a deal! that the main reason why i like Frys, everyweek, they have something on sale. now i am enjoying my flash drive. hhahahahaha

Edited by DarkestDream

If you want to use other open source apps download Fink and Fink Commander. This will let you install and run popular linux apps. Fink Commander is a package manager like the ones found in the popular linux distros.

Also you may want to download OnyX it's a free utility that runs maintenance and repair scripts and can change some os x features.

Congrats on the Mac!

I also got a MBP except it was about 4 months ago. It is my first Mac and I absolutely love it. Personally, I was on a budget and ended up going with Open Office just because of the cost :D

Glad you're loving your MBP too.

WOOT WOOT WOOT CrossOver for Mac is FINALLY here, well it in beta.

CrossOver is similar to CrossOver for Linux. What CrossOver do is to make Windows apps work on Linux. it like Wine....

Now CrossOver on Mac!!!! now i can use my favorite apps in Mac, and i forgot what my favorite apps...... jeez im so retarded..... :blink::D^_^ . the CrossOver for Mac is right here, CrossOver for Mac (Limited Time Public Beta)

Yea, I saw that this morning. I don't have a intel mac I'm trying to hold off until 10.5 ships but it keeps getting harder. The good thing is by the time tiger gets here I'll be able to afford a Mac Pro.

Oh and have you tried the beta?

Yea, I saw that this morning. I don't have a intel mac I'm trying to hold off until 10.5 ships but it keeps getting harder. The good thing is by the time tiger gets here I'll be able to afford a Mac Pro.

Oh and have you tried the beta?

I havent, and it on the 60 days trails, so im still thinking o install it or not. so i can play my favorite FF7 and FF8 games, since they use DirectX, do i need to install DirectX in Crossover to make the windows game working?

and i have one slight problem... the OO.o, problem is.... i cant use it. it keep saying i have to install X11 in my mac, so i went to Free11 something website that apple told me to go there. and downloaded their X11 software. when i was about to install it, OSX warned me that i already have X11 installed. so im confused with this issue. even i already have Office:mac installed but still i like OO.o and would love to make it work.

Can't help with the direct X thing I don't have a intel Mac yet.

X11 comes on your install disk if you don't already have it installed. If your not sure do a spotlight for X11.. I always do a custom install of the os first when I buy a new mac and install it then. Open it before trying to run OO. You may also have to open it from the terminal or find a script that will do everything for you. There are also versions of OpenOffice that run native in osx and have a Aqua UI.

I have been using Neo Office but it's still in beta.

Edited by isteve

There are also versions of OpenOffice that run native in osx and have a Aqua UI.

where i can find that?

Look like Final Fantasy 7 and 8 failed to be working because it required DX.... aready isntalled DX on CrossOver, but my sound card..... is not DX. so oh well

The new NeoOffice beta includes the Aqua interface and runs natively.

There are also versions of OpenOffice that run native in osx and have a Aqua UI.

where i can find that?

Look like Final Fantasy 7 and 8 failed to be working because it required DX.... aready isntalled DX on CrossOver, but my sound card..... is not DX. so oh well

The new NeoOffice beta includes the Aqua interface and runs natively.

im speaking of OpenOffice, not NeoOffice.......

and i was looking at Shiira, veryinteresting browser, i like it.

Neo Office is OpenOffice just with Aqua. I can't remember the others and not even sure if they still exist.

As for Browsers also try Omni Web real cool and Camino and iCab is worth a look.

I still use Safari because of snapback probably the only person that uses it.

Edited by isteve

i aready tired Camino on my friend's PowerBook G4 in last year, very fast but negative thing is no extensions, so it not worth my time to use Camino.

I wll check Omni Web and iCab

I like installion system of Mac, just transfer the icon to Apps folder to install it. dont need to go through all the of the installion process like in Windows. but some installtion come with a .pkg file, so need to use that for installtion. i been figuring out how to uninstall the Apps, i can delete to "uninstall" the apps but some file is in Library. so the answer goes to AppZapper, very simple and worth my money to have this kind of apps.

Anyone know how to disable sleep when i close my screen? i dont mind sleep but it just disconnect my internet when i close my screen, but i just want my screen to go off and leave the laptop on while the screen is close. couldnt find any option in System Perference

mmmm kinda dont like FileWrangler.... well i do but there is one feature missing.... it didnt allow you to move the file in order. i have Irene on my window and love it. very simple and allow you to change in order, or adjust one file while the rest is renamed. many many feature loaded in small 488KB Irene.

I look everywhere in FW for moving the file in order, it kinda pain in the butt if i have to go to my file and renamed them seperately.... then my FW can renamed them in order the way i want it. i will use Window with Irene for a while until FW get this feature.

New Programs of the Day: Todos, a all list of apps in one section program. what it do is it scan all apps and put the apps icon on one screen, it very useful if your docks is full or you have to clicky clicky to get the apps. I suggest for anyone who have OSX to get this, Todos. very extremely useful