Systemced Error Message Win 2000

hello folks, I have a laptop given to me to fix with the systemced error message. I understand this is probably because a registry hive has got too big and so Windows 2000 cannot boot as it has to share memory, and there is just not enough to go around - zat right?

The owner has run a second copy of 2000 on to the hard drive,in another partition, so I can get into that ok.

What would be the optimum way of fixing this problem?

How do I know ( for instance) which hive is causing the problem?

If I copy 2000 over the top of the damaged installation, will that make any difference since what I really need to do is compact the overblown hive?

I have looked on the net for answers and it seems there are ways to deal with it, but which is the best?

There is no floppy drive on the machine :(

He bought this machine in USA about a year ago, and I get the impression most of his software is still there, and he will not be returning to the USA for some months, so reinstalling the original software would mean buying it again here, at our somewhat more expensive prices.

any help greatly appreciated

If you have a Win2K CD follow the directions in the link below.

Recovering From a SYSTEMced Error

hello Terrorist. I have been there and tried the advice to rename the registry, but that didn't work :(

The machine has not got a floppy drive, so I tried to follow the instructions to make a bootable cd with all the files on, but I could not follow the instructions and gave up.

Thing is, I can access the old OS as it is in the form of a folder on C: when I boot up into the fresh copy of 2000, and I wonder if there is anyway I can compact the bad registry.

There must be a way.... :(

thank you for your help anyway :)

Can't he have someone send him the needed software from home? I would do a format and fresh install.

I am in :D Great thanks to jayroos.com. My own stupidity. I tried the solution given on the page and it didn't work, so that was that - but I could get in via the other copy of the OS and have been fiddling around trying this and that. One of my efforts required I rebooted into safe mode, and as I did that I saw that the active partition was actually the one I had thought was the faulty one. I went back to the solution offered by Jayroos.com and this time did it on the other OS, and I was able to get in.

I still have to find a driver for the graphics as there is no graphics card recognised now, and maybe there are other drivers that need to be replaced, but I can do that, and compact the registry tomorrow, so I am going to my bed now feeling a lot happier. Thank you Terrorist, you are a good'un :):thumbsup: