No service is really "useless". They all do something. Unless your computer is being bogged down, or acting odd; I woulnd't touch anything. If you are going to remove something, make sure you do your research on it first.

I don't trust

• Sites that claim to tell you about services except those affiliated with MS.
  • Sites that tell you about services without telling you what they do.
  • Sites that tell you about services but are obviously wrong.
  • Sites that tell you about services but admit that they don't know what they do.
  • Sites that tell you to disable services without explaining why.
  • Sites that tell you to disable services even if they explain why when the explanation is obviously wrong.

I think this site hits all of those points.

thank you......I appreciate answers. guess that's why I won't move up to winxp...too much BS.

I'm glad I made the switch to XP. It handles memory much better than my 98SE install. I can recover from a BSOD much faster once I figured out what made it Blue Screen. I have disabled only Services known to be a security issue or unnneeded by my setup. I do not allow Automatic Update to run. I prefer to manually update my PC just as I did with 98SE. So far none of the XP updates have caused issues with my setup. I don't have the Security Center running. Panda's anti-virus and firewall are keeping the system clean and warn me just a well or better than the Security Center. I don't use any of Microsoft securtiy apps such as Defender. It isn't necessary. I use Opera so I don't worry about IE.

Life's too short to go looking for needless problems.

I like that :-) I wish I could always live that way. I know that in theory, but in practice, its hard(living in the day).

Edited by shanenin

JSKY had a thread here dealing with services. There was a lot of debate involving a few of us with what should and shouldn't be touched. Cataclysmcow gave a good account about disabling services doesn't aid that much in performance.

One discussion

JSKY's website / Services

If I misspelled anything my fingers are too sore to be touching the keyboard and I'm too tired to care or use spellcheck.

the problem i find with turning off services

if you turn off one it

disables important ones

and i used to go in play hell with services

from tips i got from the board

i found this out with black viper

and un fortunately i didnt take note of the ones i turned off

as a result i got my sys into trouble

at the time i was posting to techtv c.f.h

goliath came to my rescue

and said go back in and enable all aplications

and leave any thing alone your not sure of