Got my brother in laws work laptop here. Here is having problems when XP Home would boot it would pass the Windows splash screen then hang.

A tech where here just purchased a desktop told him it was the LCD ribbon cable, they could change it for $300. I found this same laptop on the net for a little more than $300.

I booted to Safe Mode ran like this for an hour no problem.

F8 on reboot then selected Last known good config.

Q. How do I find what changed or didn't when doing this.

I did a *.* for everything modified today. Wanting to narrow down the area that I need to focus on.

M

What is Last Known Good configuration?

In versions NT and later of the Windows operating system (OS), a copy of a system's hardware configuration and driver settings taken from the system’s registry when the OS successfully boots. This copy is stored in case a subsequent boot process fails, and the OS can use the record of the Last Known Good configuration to perform a successful boot. If Windows detects a problem in the boot process, it will add the Last Known Good configuration option to the start up menu.

This configuration record often comes in handy after the installation of new drivers or devices, which may cause system errors. Each time the OS successfully boots, it replaces the previous Last Known Good configuration record with the new one from the most recent successful boot.