Red Hat 8 Install (impasse)

I haven't been here since I was running Suse Pro 9.1 (2005). I eventually jettisoned it as I found it to restrictive, for lack of a better term. I've always (and still) look forward to the day when I can once and for all say adios to Bill Gates. I recently happened upon a copy of the "Red Hat Linux 8 Bible" by Christopher Negus, while strolling through the Grand Central Terminal bookstore (NYC). I bought it, it came with the Red Hat 8 CD-ROMS. I now have a dual boot with it and Winblows XP Pro. I can access the XP but can't get all the way into Red Hat. After it goes through this rolling scroll that indicates all is well, I end up at a black screen, at the top of which are the words "Red Hat" and also what version it is. Below that appears "Localhost Login:" and below that "password:" "It" will only allow an entry next to Localhost Login: (a moot point) and nothing next to password: Beyond that, on occasion, I get a green rectangle approx. 4"X6" (screen is no longer black), in the bottom portion of the aforementioned rectangle, there are two (2) small boxes, one to the left-one to the right. They are both dead, won't accept any entry. But inside of each (small) box there are characters, the likes of which, I last saw, never.

If you think you may have a solution, please put it in simple "nooby" terms. I don't do Linux-Speak (yet) :(

Thanks, Michael

It apears your X server is failing(GUI). So it is still giving you the option to log into your account using a termeinal.

this line below is asking for your login name. You probably have two users, root and the user account the install suggests you make.

Localhost Login:

then below it is asking you to enter the password for that user. note you will not see anything while you type it. After entering it correctly and pressing return you should be logged in.

I haven't been here since I was running Suse Pro 9.1 (2005). I eventually jettisoned it as I found it to restrictive, for lack of a better term. I've always (and still) look forward to the day when I can once and for all say adios to Bill Gates. I recently happened upon a copy of the "Red Hat Linux 8 Bible" by Christopher Negus, while strolling through the Grand Central Terminal bookstore (NYC). I bought it, it came with the Red Hat 8 CD-ROMS. I now have a dual boot with it and Winblows XP Pro. I can access the XP but can't get all the way into Red Hat. After it goes through this rolling scroll that indicates all is well, I end up at a black screen, at the top of which are the words "Red Hat" and also what version it is. Below that appears "Localhost Login:" and below that "password:" "It" will only allow an entry next to Localhost Login: (a moot point) and nothing next to password: Beyond that, on occasion, I get a green rectangle approx. 4"X6" (screen is no longer black), in the bottom portion of the aforementioned rectangle, there are two (2) small boxes, one to the left-one to the right. They are both dead, won't accept any entry. But inside of each (small) box there are characters, the likes of which, I last saw, never.

If you think you may have a solution, please put it in simple "nooby" terms. I don't do Linux-Speak (yet) :(

Thanks, Michael

Thanks, Michael

Red HAt 8 is old ( I mean old... ) it probly is not supported by your hardware.. an updated ?Kernel would work, or just download fedora code 5, the red hat bible for 8 will do you no good.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

they are up to version 5 which puts you 6 version behind.. good for old hardare.. but unless you know how to update everything, bad for new

Thanks, Michael

Red HAt 8 is old ( I mean old... ) it probly is not supported by your hardware.. an updated ?Kernel would work, or just download fedora code 5, the red hat bible for 8 will do you no good.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

they are up to version 5 which puts you 6 version behind.. good for old hardare.. but unless you know how to update everything, bad for new

I still have my Suse 9.1, would I be ahead of the "game" if I re-instaled it and utilized openSUSE.org ?

SuSE9.1 is old at this point as well, get the latest ubuntu. If you dont have broadband you can order a disk free from them.

good luck with ubuntu Mad Mike

I really prefer linux to windows but am stuck with Mr Gates product till the Department of Energy releases a nix version of software I need for work, well on my home comps anyway. Don't forsee my employer changing over any time soon.

good luck with ubuntu Mad Mike

I really prefer linux to windows but am stuck with Mr Gates product till the Department of Energy releases a nix version of software I need for work, well on my home comps anyway. Don't forsee my employer changing over any time soon.