I got a fairly new dell laptop to work on. I always save a scan with belarc before formatting it. While reinstalling it prompted me for the key. I typed in the key(several times) that was on the bottom of the computer from the COA, it was rejected as invalid. I then checked the belarc report to see what the key was. It had a completely different key listed; I used that key and it installed fine. I wonder why it was delivered from dell with a COA that did not work, but was installed using a different key. I am very certain it left dell in this condition, it was not altrered by anyone else

I have had that same issue with many proprietary computers. That is why I always attempt to retrieve the key used with Majic Jelly Bean before reinstalling. If you use the key on the sticker or the one listed in use and have problems call the phone number in the activation box.

You shouldn't have a problem. Tell them it is the first time that the OS has been reinstalled.

That's what you should say anyways, just to save time. Especially if you change the motherboard!

Edited by xxkbxx

I have changed out motherboards on dells. I did not feel the need to make my(and my customers) life difficult and tell microsoft that. I don't feel at all dishonest about it.

by the way, on an other forum I was told it is common(done on purpose) for manufactures to install windows with a different key then the COA has. I don't have facts to back that up.

I have changed out motherboards on dells. I did not feel the need to make my(and my customers) life difficult and tell microsoft that. I don't feel at all dishonest about it.

by the way, on an other forum I was told it is common(done on purpose) for manufactures to install windows with a different key then the COA has. I don't have facts to back that up.

Sounds like a rumor. Unless of course they have a deal w/ Microsoft where they install the same XP key on 2 billion computers, but pay for the license on each and put the sticker on it. Just a theory

Sounds like a rumor. Unless of course they have a deal w/ Microsoft where they install the same XP key on 2 billion computers, but pay for the license on each and put the sticker on it. Just a theory

Had a friend who worked for Dell. All he did for 6 months was get a PC that was built to specs like the customer wanted. Then he would put in the programs that the customer selected when purchasing the PC. Said that they had programs set up for every possibility that could be had. Just had to select the program that # that fit what the customer wanted and click OK and get out of the way. Took about 5 minutes to get the HD all installed and then it was put on a conveyor belt with the order and somebody else boxed it up and out it went.

Example:

XP Home or Pro or versions with Media Center

McCrappy or Norton

Anything else that the customer wanted

The rest of the FREE junk that they put on

No burn in and no checking that all was fine. Said that they had maybe 1 out of 10,000 that would have a problem.