I am interested in network security. I have a LAN of 3 computers on my LAN that I could use to get familular with this stuff. Is it at all possible for a total noob to learn about this? Where can I learn about it?

Basically the options of basic security are WEP and MAC filtering.

WEP filtering is assigning certain key codes to access your network - therefore, you log onto the network by each computer by using the key code (such as KSD3893SDF - a bunch of digits)

MAC Address filtering is setting up where only certain MAC addresses can access the broudcasted signal. Each wireless component, such as your wireless card on your PC or your laptops built in wifi card. You set you router to only allow the certain addresses.

Hope this helps you get started!

Any information on gaining access to a computer on the LAN, that would be setup like your non-worried person, that has the essentials of firewalls and what not, but isn't trying to prevent like the FBI from gaining access.

Look into penetration testing (assuming you want to test the vulnerability of systems on your LAN). If your looking more for how to penetrate, your local bookstore should have some ethical hacking books which may or may not help.

Look into penetration testing (assuming you want to test the vulnerability of systems on your LAN). If your looking more for how to penetrate, your local bookstore should have some ethical hacking books which may or may not help.

I believe he just wants a network that is good enough so his neighbors can't mooch off of it.

When you have a wireless device installed on your computer it should allow your PC to detect wireless networks. To connect, you just have to select your network name (and enter you key, if you enabled WEP security) It's not too complicated

Actually im interested in both, more into ethical hacking however. On my journeys so far I have discovered a few things, learned a few things, and realized how vunerable alot of people are.