Ok, finally after having dialup for years, springing for Charter broadband. Newb questions, so here goes. Have 3 computers, all with xp home, an older gateway select 1200, an HP Pavilion, and a Toshiba laptop. Will have the broadband modem at the HP(Im guessing this is the way it works). The laptop came with a Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter. What do I need in the way of a router, adapter/adapters for the others? (now the part you always hear) dont want to spend a fortune for this stuff, but dont want junk either, so any recomendations are appreciated.

Just go to newegg.com and look in the networking section and start looking through the Wireless routers. find a good 4 or 5 star rated one and get it. Same goes for any wireless network cards. Also I'd wait till you have broadband before goin to newegg. It's kinda not dial-up friendly.

I'm not sure if they still do this, but when we signed up for Charter, they had "free installation". The tech who got our idiot box hooked up was very helpful with ideas.

AND Charter has a great telephone support staff (or I've been incredibly lucky)

Liz

A pro with Charter is they have local offices. I've Had good luck with their customer support also.

Anyway...

Will have the broadband modem at the HP(Im guessing this is the way it works)

No, you will have the broadband modem connected to the router, and the 3 computers connected to the router.

I guess your wanting a wireless network for the laptop? If not you could save some money and hassle and get a wired system.

Edited by Bubba Bob
Ok, finally after having dialup for years, springing for Charter broadband. Newb questions, so here goes. Have 3 computers, all with xp home, an older gateway select 1200, an HP Pavilion, and a Toshiba laptop. Will have the broadband modem at the HP(Im guessing this is the way it works). The laptop came with a Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter. What do I need in the way of a router, adapter/adapters for the others? (now the part you always hear) dont want to spend a fortune for this stuff, but dont want junk either, so any recomendations are appreciated.

I know direcway (now hughes) has a router built into their 6000 modem but in order to isolate the two machines I put another modem in line. I had to do it this way so I didn't have to put 2 nic cards in the master machine and both would be completely independant. it's an unusual setup because two parties share the modem and I wanted the machines to be completely independant. too bad my brother in law doesn't live 100 feet closer or I could share his wireless.

Thanks for all the replys, been busy today and first time been able to read posts. Ok, already signed up, gonna install next week, gonna buy a modem from Charter (no rent), asked about getting router from them, lady suggested (very subtly) that I get one from best buy, etc, thiers was pretty costly. So to keep wires from trailing every where, Im looking at what, a router, and 2 adapters for the 2 desktops (the laptop already has wirless)? Or as one suggested, go wired and save some dough. One dumbbutt question, does a wirless router like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...190#DetailSpecs (because Im not up on stuff) able to connect both wired and wirless? Guess what Im getting at, how do I wire the 2 desktops and have the laptop wirless? Thanks again for setting me straight. Jim.

Thanks for all the replys, been busy today and first time been able to read posts. Ok, already signed up, gonna install next week, gonna buy a modem from Charter (no rent), asked about getting router from them, lady suggested (very subtly) that I get one from best buy, etc, thiers was pretty costly. So to keep wires from trailing every where, Im looking at what, a router, and 2 adapters for the 2 desktops (the laptop already has wirless)? Or as one suggested, go wired and save some dough. One dumbbutt question, does a wirless router like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...190#DetailSpecs (because Im not up on stuff) able to connect both wired and wirless? Guess what Im getting at, how do I wire the 2 desktops and have the laptop wirless? Thanks again for setting me straight. Jim.

The wireless router usually has four wired ethernet jacks also. So it is wired AND wireless.

And you're right. Don't buy it from the cable company. Go to Best Buy, Fry's, or online outlets.

As far as going wired or wireless to the desktops, I'd wire at least one. (keep the router near it). The second desktop depends on your situation for running the Cat 5/6 line. If you can wire it easily, go wired. If not, try a wireless card. And definately go wireless with the laptop. It's SO nice to sit out on the patio, deck, pool, whatever, without a cord!

Good luck.

Once you go high speed, you'll never go back. I'd give up food before I went back to dial-up. (and I like to eat).

Joe