Ok some of you guys have noticed that I have been having a massive amount of problems recently. Well yesterday I tried turning on my computer and it refused to boot. It said that the molex connector to my video card was not connected when it clearly was. Now i have to explain something about how my power supply is and I guess how most are. There are two "strings" of wires with molex connectors on it. I previously used one string to power Case fan, Cd drives, and Floppy drive.

The other string powerd another small case fan, Video card, and my Harddrive. Well when I saw the message saying that the extra power cable was not connected I was surprised because I knew there was power in the wire. The case fan was workning and I could hear my harddrive spinning. I tried other connectors but that didnt help.

Next I unplugged my CD drives and used that string of molex connectors to to power my harddrive and video card only. I unplugged everything else. Well now the videocard says its plugged in but I now my computer will not boot. I Still hear my harddrive spinning up but my computer wont boot. I cant even enter bios. I restet cmos but that didnt help. All that happens is that I am stuck on a screen with my motherboard logo on it. It wont get past that screen. Since my video card did boot and beep once (it beeps once when the video card powers up) I think that my mother board got past POST but I am not entirly sure on that.

So heres what I think but I want to be sure before I go out and buy new parts

My power supply is broken or not powerfull enough. Its a generic PSU that came with my case but is 500 WATTs. Or mabey that string of connecters is not working properly.

OR

My motherboard has just killed itself for somereason over night.

OR

My harddrive killed it self over night. (This is the same harddrive which I heard a click from every now and then before my computer froze up.) I think the harddrive was bound to fail in the end anyway.

Even if it did fail I should still be able to enter bios right?

So what do you think I need to replace. I think Im gonna go for a new PSU and Harddrive. Im really against getting a new MOtherboard because I plan to rebuild my rig from nearly from scratch next summer and I dont want to get a new board now. ( AMD is comming out with a new socket next year).

Anybody have any ideas?

Well I got the PC to boot finnally. Its running on the bare essentials. Im using one rail for my harddrive only and one for my video card only. Ill need to order a new PSU pretty soon.

I would advise against using it in the meantime.

It sounds like a cheap one which used a single transformer and multiple bypass filters to split off voltages.

When they start doing what yours is they can fail catastrophically and send 12V over the lower 5v and 3.3V rails and fry everything.

Well Im deciding between two power supplies. Im still wondering if PFC is something I should go for or not.

This enermax one is 500Watts with PFC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194003

This antec one is less expensive and is 550 Watts but no PFC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194003

Im not entirely sure what PFC is but from what Iv read it keeps the voltages from shifting. I guess thats a good thing and Europe is making it mandatory.

I am planning on replacing just about everthing next summer with som powerfull stuff. Probably SLI. Is 500 Watts powerfull enough for a dual core SLI system?

My plan by then is to have at least this in my system.

2 HDD

2 optical drives

1 floppy

2 video cards

Dual core processor

2 case fans

1 PCI blower fan.

Edited by Sir_Siddy

Just so you know - you don't have to have a branded 550+ PSU, I have a Cooler Master 350W - and it powers ALOT (ASUS A8N, AMD X2, Geoforce 6800 GS, SATA 300 HDD, DVD RW, DVD ROM, Fan Controller, HDD Fan, PCI Fan, Large case fan, small front case fan, 2 cold cathode bars, 1 strip of 12 LED's, ect. You get my picture? I'm pretty sure there isn't enough power here for SLI, but 350W of a REPUTABLE company is fine for most people