Networking Questions

hey all, sorry to keep cluttering the boards with remedial questions but can't seem to find simple answers or the fact I find things that say it can't be done.

OK, I originally set up a WIN/MDK network to watch movies on my laptop kept on an external HD attached to my desktop, worked great since you can share entire drives in windows.

I'd like to do the same with both machines booted to MDK...I can share the home directories on both machines with NFS, and that works fine but I can't share drives....I have 2 external drives that I would like to share but get the "you can only share files in your home directory error"....I'm pretty sure there has to be a way to do this...or am I wrong?

what is giving this error? if its linux make a link to the folder and make that origianl folders permisions

readable by your user..

example.. I have my home folder with SAMBA share to my windows box (running in vmware .. but still a network connection)

I have onoly my homw folder shared.. but I wanted windows ot have access to my usb flash drive. so I made a folder for my flash drive called /mnt/flash (inventive is it not :) ) then I did a chown username /mnt/flash/

I then did a ln -s /mnt/flash/ ~ (note ~ tells the shell to put it in your home folder don't replace ~ with your home folder teh shell knows what it means.. )

this made a link to the folder /mnt/flash to show up in my home folder and is now accessable by windows..

NFS would work the same way.. but how are you mounting NFS ni windows with services for Unix or

Hi iccaros,

If I share the drive in windows (box1), it shows up in (box2) as a folder created by lineighborhood (ex. /home/tictoc5150/mnt/Box1/my movies)....although I don't really need the connection to go in reverse, I set up samba and shared /home/tictoc5150/Documents...this works fine.

Now with both boxes in MDK, I tried what you said and apparently I'm doing something wrong.

ok, on box 1 the drive shows up as /mnt/win_c3...I chown'd that and made the link (~/Documents/), so far so good, the folder shows up as ~/Documents/win_c3.

I check box 2, the link is there (/mnt/Documents/win_c3) but when trying to access it, I get the error -->"file:/mnt/Documents/win_c3 doesn't seem to exist anymore"

I check the link properties on box 1 and it says "not shared", I try to change it and it acts like it does it but it doesn't, since the next time I check, it's not shared again...also, when I check the properties of /win_c3, the ownership remained root, even though it said "changing ownership of '/mnt/win_c3' :Read-only file system"

Not really getting this and feeling really irritated :angry: ...lol

It seems easier to pick the damn movie I wanna watch, copy it from /mnt/win_c3/my movies to ~/Documents and go watch it...lol

If you see where I went wrong in all that, can you try to put me in the right direction?

thanks again for your time,

T.

if this is a windows share or should I say windows drive its how your are mounting it in your fstab.. put a umask =0

or the mount command

for example

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/winders -o rw,umask=0

a fstab woudl look like this

/dev/hdf2 /vmware ntfs user,noatime,rw,umask=0 0 1

I Think this is the part you are missing.. but I could be wrong.. been before.. :D

being a ntfs or fat32 folder the unix permission do not matter, as in ownership as when you put the active blocks on hte ntfs or fat file structure they mean something totally diffrent than they do to a unix/Linux partition..

the umask=0 means to not put any unix mask on the mount.. the rw means mount it as read writeable. This will give you access. I hope this is your problem.

I think the default mandrake ntfs or fat mount is umask=077 which locks everyone out except root at mounting.

Your problem is MS incompatibilitys with permissions standards in there file systems. since they change their standards (between fat fat32 ntfs 4 ntfs 5 all diffrent) programers gave up on keeping up. you will notice that all Unix/Linux file systems use the same permision standards.

UMASK(2) Linux Programmer's Manual UMASK(2)

NAME

umask - set file creation mask

SYNOPSIS

#include <sys/types.h>

#include <sys/stat.h>

mode_t umask(mode_t mask);

DESCRIPTION

umask sets the umask to mask & 0777.

The umask is used by open(2) to set initial file permissions on a

newly-created file. Specifically, permissions in the umask are turned

off from the mode argument to open(2) (so, for example, the common

umask default value of 022 results in new files being created with per-

missions 0666 & ~022 = 0644 = rw-r--r-- in the usual case where the

mode is specified as 0666).

RETURN VALUE

This system call always succeeds and the previous value of the mask is

returned.

CONFORMING TO

SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3

SEE ALSO

creat(2), open(2)

Linux 1998-08-09 UMASK(2)

~

Hey icarros, thanks for taking the time to help me understand this...but before I go changing my fstab I wanna make sure I don't mess something up.

not sure what to do since it aready says umask=0

from fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c3 ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

T.

Hey icarros, thanks for taking the time to help me understand this...but before I go changing my fstab I wanna make sure I don't mess something up.

not sure what to do since it aready says umask=0

from fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c3 ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

T.

i think the nls=iso8859-1 may confuse winders.. but I could be wrong agian..

iocharset=name

is what I thought it should be..

but if that does not wirk .. try mounting it in two places...

mount it under your home folder and moutn it under mount.. (or make the softlink to the mnt folder)

its a try.. I need to research as I hav enever used nls=iso8859-1 and its kind of messed my thinking up.. I set up a share tomarrow and test it..

http://handsonhowto.com/smb101.html

this site may also help incase its your smb.conf file..

I think I'm confused on how you whared these..

Ok I did some research..... and I can not repeate your problem as I understand..

So I would try this..

make a folder under your home folder and mount the NTFS drive under your home folder and see what that gets you..

please cut-n-paste any errors you find..

Hi icarros,

I mounted sda1 at /home/tictoc5150/....the drive shows up there and has "local net sharing" in its properties but selecting shared doesn't share it....probably way off on this one but also tried creating an NFS mount within ~/ >> the drive shows up on box 2 but gives an error when trying to access ("mount: can't find /mnt/win_c3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab)....done quite a bit of googling to see if someone else was trying to accomplish what I am and can't really find anyone doing the same thing....I wouldn't think that it would be that uncommon with alot of people dual booting linux/XP....I think the fact that it's an NTFS drive is to blame...or maybe not, what do I know?...lol

Betting if it was a linux file system mounted in my home directory I'd be able to....oh well :blink:

I really appreciate your help on this but I think I'll save myself the headache and just go with a work-around>>> just copy some movies off sda1 to ~/ and delete em' when I'm done....(fragmentation isn't as big of a problem in linux as with windows, right?)

anyway, this little project wasn't all for nothing, I did learn a few things...thanks again, T.

"..(fragmentation isn't as big of a problem in linux as with windows, right?"

no most linux filesystems like ext3, reiserfs, xfs, and jfs all auto defrage them selves.. you get a max of about 3%.. but even that is normally fixed teh next mounting..