I'm working on my wife's computer this morning. It's a year old and now McAffee want's money for their AV program and I can't see paying for something if I can get it free. I uninstalled McAffee and put on Avast.

I noticed that when shutting down for the restarts needed during the uninatall and Avast install, there is a window saying that the comp is waiting for a program to finish closing. The heading on the title bar is

"ShellIconHiddenWindow" and after a few seconds, you get this "end task and lose data" box and I click that and everything closes and then it restarts just fine.

I figure that this is probably something left over from a previous uninstall of some kind but I can't locate what is going on here to get rid of it and you can't just click on "shut down" and walk away---you have to end this task before it will shut off.

Any ideas on this??

The 2nd thing is that we use MailWasher Pro and it loads itself on startup. No problems on MY computer but on hers, we immediatly get a popup that says "no internet connection available". Well, we have cable internet that's always there and we are hooked to it thru a router. If I click on the OK button for the alert and then check the mail with Mail Washer, then everything works OK. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it didn't do that.

Any ideas about this???

Thanks..jr

Shelliconhiddenwindow belongs to Musicmatch. Try uninstalling the program, redownloading, and reinstalling.

- Click the Start button on the Windows taskbar.

- Click "Control Panel".

- Click "Add or Remove Programs".

- Select "Musicmatch Jukebox".

- Click the "Change/Remove" button.

- Select "Yes" if you are asked to verify that you want to remove any shared files.

- Reboot your PC.

As for the MailWasher question, I'm not sure.. but I'll do some googling. :matrix:

Matt

OK, google produced a lot. Do you have the most recent version of MailWasher? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Also, try the following:

Mailwasher>>tools>>options>>untick "dail up to the internet when user checks mail"

and

Start>> settings>>control panel>>internet options>>connections>> ensure your connection is labelled "default"

Matt

Good point. However, I would highly suggest that you don't use msconfig to disable it from the startup list. Use a seperate app. Msconfig was never meant to be used as a startup manager. Using it that way can cause memory leaks and other issues. Microsoft even warns against it...

Good point. However, I would highly suggest that you don't use msconfig to disable it from the startup list. Use a seperate app. Msconfig was never meant to be used as a startup manager. Using it that way can cause memory leaks and other issues. Microsoft even warns against it...

Used to should be the word. XP handles memory much better than 9x/ME and newer programs aren't that prone to memory leaks. I still say use Mike Lins program though because I have found some programs, such as Registry First Aid, will re-enable themselves after unchecking them in msconfig. Using Startup Control Panel assures that they won't do so.

I don't use msconfig, I use Mike Lin's program and like it a lot.

I did dissable the Music Match loader. The program just takes a bit longer to load now but not a big deal. I also updated the Mail washer, too. That must have helped.

I really cleaned out MY startups a while ago and now I've done it to

the wife's comp too!

After getting the Avast program up and running and then doing a

Spybot S&D, AdAware, and full system Virus Scan, I then also installed

Spyware Blaster and updated the hosts file, too.

In this process, I had to do a few more restarts and now everything is

working the way it should.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

jr

Edited by jimras