I just got my RMAed Harddrive back AGAIN. This is the third time iv rmaed it. When I plug it in my computer someimes fails to boot windows. When it does boot windows the os runs very slowly and I am unable to view my computer. The drive is my second harddrive and its SATA. Any ideas why this is happening?

I think up to date drivers were installed cant remember though. How would I be able to check. There wasnt a blue screen the boot just froze. That line that scrolls during boot just froze. The first time I rmaed my drive was because the data I put on the drive started to get corrupted. I did a diagnostic and I found that it was in the red. The other times I rmaed it were because of the same problem I am having now. My motherboard is a DFI Lanparty nf3.

Did a little reading about that motherboard....

Someone on a forum mentioned a response from DFI that if you have SATA drives on port 1 & 2 and overclock you can end up with drive corruption...possible this was your original problem?...possibly heading for the same problem again?

Also alot of mentions that BIOS settings don't get saved or get altered (without user input) that could result in erratic behavior, from not booting to running very slow and unstable.

First thing I'd try (based on what I've read) is disconnect the SATA drive's power cable>> start PC and set BIOS to default>>save and exit>>turn off and reconnect the power cable to the drive>> reboot and see if there is any improvement.

Edited by tictoc5150

Yes you need to load drivers for a SATA hard drive even though you don't plan on using RAID. You need to know what SATA controller is used then find the correct SATA drivers and place them on a floppy. When you come to the point during XP install where it says to press F6 to install drivers place the floppy disk in.

I just looked at a site which deals with DFI and they state you don't need to load the SATA drivers, but it is necessary on some Via chipset motherboards. I need to look further.

Siddy

Where did you install the SATA drives? 1&2 (Marxell chip) or 3&4 (nForce3 chip)? Also if these are the original SATA cables they may be bad.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I have my primary on the marxell 1 and I have tried the second on on the other three but it hasnt worked. Ill switch out my cables and see what happens. I think on my old motherboard I had to install the drivers. I remember using a floppy during the intall but when I baught this motherboard I think windows found my harddrive and installed properly.

I just looked at a site which deals with DFI and they state you don't need to load the SATA drivers, but it is necessary on some Via chipset motherboards. I need to look further.

Are you saying some DFI motherboards do not require SATA drivers to be loaded to install XP to a SATA drive?

Are you saying some DFI motherboards do not require SATA drivers to be loaded to install XP to a SATA drive?

That's what I have seen at one site. I don't know if this is if they are hooked to the Marxell or nForce ports though.