Okay, I downloaded a Linux Live CD, iccarus to be exact, and I've been fooling around with it lately. Eventually I figured it was time for a hard drive install. I formatted a 40gb partition as FAT32 - now what do i do. I am trying to find the specific path to the partition when I go to "select the installation drive" and the only thing I can recognize is the cd drive, every else is like "disc0/_____"

Also, what do i need to do to be able to select Windows or Linux from my bootscreen? I will be needing to hop back and forth from one to another often

TIA!

which linux are you going to install?

many of them will install the bootloader, either lilo or grub, to make it a dual boot automatically

It does require a reboot to switch from one os to the other

The install program will ask which partition you want to install to

"disc0" IS your C: drive.

Linux numbers your hard drives starting with 0.

If you had another one, then that would be listded as disc1.

It should see the partition that you put there and state the size of it so

you should be able to figure out which partition you want to install in.

Good luck.

jr

Okay, I downloaded a Linux Live CD, iccarus to be exact, and I've been fooling around with it lately. Eventually I figured it was time for a hard drive install. I formatted a 40gb partition as FAT32 - now what do i do. I am trying to find the specific path to the partition when I go to "select the installation drive" and the only thing I can recognize is the cd drive, every else is like "disc0/_____"

Also, what do i need to do to be able to select Windows or Linux from my bootscreen? I will be needing to hop back and forth from one to another often

TIA!

wow, that is a big step, my distro is a little rough as I have had zero time in the last 8 months to do anything with it..

you need to create or have a blank partition. robroy has ran through the install before and can give some pointers..

the partitions that are created show up as disk.. if you have windows on the drive I would suggest you make sure you know which is your windows partition...

I need to write up the install, but no one has asked questions about it..

I will be working on this distro this summer when I finish school.. and it should include a GUI installer..

Thanks for giving it a try..