ok...around the first of the month we should be getting dsl in this area...this will be provided by our local yokel phone company...I have heard the price is about $40 a month but don't know what speeds we will be getting...I am about a mile from the phone company and probably no more than 200 customers on the line...can anyone shed some light on this subject...price too high?....how fast?...any info will be appreciated....I am on satellite now but it is $60 a month and wondering if it will be worth the change to save some money.

I do not even think their is a comparison. Doesn't satelite have limits ond bandwith you can use? Doesn't satalite need your phoneline to do uploads? From what little I know about satelite, DSL is a much better service. With DSL you are also saving a lot of money.

I don't know about bandwwidth on satellite as I have never reached it...satellite is completely independent from the phone lines...it's all done by bouncing those little thingajiggys off of NCC 1701...I was told by some gamers that satellite sucked on pings..too much delay...I tested my download speed and it said 966 kbps whatever that means.

Satallite has very poor upload speeds due to it u/ling over your phone line, but the download is very good. DSL has both good download and upload speeds. DSL is better for gaming or anything with uploading in that matter. If you are just doing internet surfing and e-mail then you are never really uploading much information so either is fine, but DSL would be cheaper.

I would suggest going with DSL, I have had good results with DSL, and its cheaper.

Satallite has very poor upload speeds due to it u/ling over your phone line, but the download is very good

Say wha? :blink:

I think he missed the part that mentions satellite companies no longer use phone lines for anything.

Years ago, when sattelite first became avialable in home use, they used phone lines. At that time they didnt' even offer internet connection AFIK. Now they use the satellite signals for everything, including downloading the billing info for any PPV movies.

For $40/month you should get at least 768/256. Any speed package less than that isn't worth it. I pay $35/month for 3000/384. The 1500/256 package here costs $25/month. These are with 1 year agreements. They also supply my Speedstream 5200 modem for free. Alltel has been very good to me even if they do have a couple of dummies working tech support.

Not positive about how it all works but once DSL is available (the necessary equipment is installed at the phone company) I don't believe you will be restricted to one particular provider. You should be able to shop around, playing one provider off another, to get a lower rate (or a higher speed).

DSL is reliable, consistant, less expensive than satellite, I dunno why you'd stick to satellite given the choice.

I know for my dsl I can only use the one provider. It's a contractual agreement between my phone co. and the ISP. which is fine by me. my ISP is locally owned, and I dont' have to jump through 300 questions just to talk to a live person

I think he missed the part that mentions satellite companies no longer use phone lines for anything.

Years ago, when sattelite first became avialable in home use, they used phone lines. At that time they didnt' even offer internet connection AFIK. Now they use the satellite signals for everything, including downloading the billing info for any PPV movies.

Oh sweet, i never knew they switched it, thats cool. Learned something new ^_^