Can't Run Ubuntu

I gave a friend my ubuntu version 5.10 live disks and he can't run it...here's the stats:

new computer

xp home with sp2

winmodem

intel celery 2.97 mhz.

512 ram

integrated video and audio

it gets to the part where it loads the kernel and then stops and reboots...I'm guessing that ubuntu has some conflicts with his hardware....anyway I hope this info will suffice....thanks guys

I agree. I would guess that your friend has a hardware issue, something like a video card that isn't recognized by ubuntu.

Perhaps try a different live cd like knoppix and see what happens. You've made certain that the ubuntu live cd works on another computer?

yes...the ubuntu ran on my computer but I don't have sufficient ram so I gave him my disks...I has 5 disks and he tried two of them with the same results.

hmmm.....

try www.slax.org

see if this or Damn Small boots..

If not I would say he has a hardware problem.. the fact that windows boot means little as it does hadware dectection diffrently.

does he have woerd crashes with windows? if so I would use the memory check at ubuntu's boot time..

I'll see if I can find the command