Is there a nice little firewall that will tell me which programs I want or dont want to let haev internet access something like Zone Alarm but ones thats FREE, has to be able to let me choose which programs I want to let or not let have internet access,

So example I open firefox and it tells me you want firefox to go on net yes or no.

IF you want a "free with rebate" firewall, Mcafee Firewall does that--at least the 2005 version did (haven't installed my 2006 version yet). It must work pretty decently--the past 6 months of Antispyware Scans only showed Viewpoint Manager (which is "up in the air" whether it's good or bad...) and tracking cookies--I surf carefully, but my kids sure don't!

Free after Rebate.info--Mcafee Internet Suite on page one, and Mcafee AV and Firewall on page two

Kudos to Barb for this site!

And because you can decifer the techy gobbly goop better than I can, here's the info on Mcafee Firewall--sounds like it will do what you want.

clicky the clacky

Liz

Edited by blim
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall Download it. It will give you "full version" access for 14 days, then will revert back to free version. If while setup, you choose "advanced" mode, (this can also be changed after installation is complete) you will have 100% control of what programs go out, which come in, and what they are doing on your computer.

you still control what programs access the net in when it converts to the free version. I have it and it's great, plus it isn't a resource hog.