I ran across Qnext the other day and was wondering what everyone else thinks of it. It is an IM / personal P2P client allowing the easy sharring of files. What interests me the most is the ability to recieve and broadcast webcam streams (IMO greatly needed for linux until gaim has it working). It is still in beta and is alittle buggy (I have only been playing with it for two days) and is slow to load but I do find it interesting. There are Windows, Linux and Mac clients available.

I ran across Qnext the other day and was wondering what everyone else thinks of it. It is an IM / personal P2P client allowing the easy sharring of files. What interests me the most is the ability to recieve and broadcast webcam streams (IMO greatly needed for linux until gaim has it working). It is still in beta and is alittle buggy (I have only been playing with it for two days) and is slow to load but I do find it interesting. There are Windows, Linux and Mac clients available.

hmm never used it, but I use VLC (www.videolan.org) for streaming video (movies, web cam, ect)

I can't really see using VLC for a webcam. Streaming a security cam is one thing but I have the cam for video messaging and to a lesser extent conferencing, both of which qnext does. My only complaint so far is that it takes forever to start, particularly the first time.

I can't really see using VLC for a webcam. Streaming a security cam is one thing but I have the cam for video messaging and to a lesser extent conferencing, both of which qnext does. My only complaint so far is that it takes forever to start, particularly the first time.

EDIt: the following is fro information on how I use VLC for confercing, not stating it better or anythings else, as qnext is probaly way better for your uses

I used VLC for the marine corps, to stream video to teams in the field. It does multicast so its much less bandwidth restrictive for mutiple users.

VLC sees the video camera the same as a video card.

I agree its probaly useless for IM and chat with the video

VLC (unknowing to the Marine Corps) is the engian for there small deployable video confrence systems (video camera, small mini-atx system running Red Hat AS 3), and video distrobution in combat areas.

I say they don't know because its a black box to to them, they have python scripts on windows laptops as there controllers. (yes we gave them all the source but I knwo they never look at it)

I'll play with qnext and see what I can get it to do.

Thanks for the suggestioin.

Edited by iccaros

ok, I've ran some test, and find it also an intresting program.. I need some one test vieso and shareing with.. :)

ok, I've ran some test, and find it also an intresting program.. I need some one test vieso and shareing with.. :)

I am also trying to test video using my desktop and the girlfriends laptop. I think my problems so far are firewall related (If I turn off firestarter I get the green light). My qnext ID is 165565, I am more than happy to test the video with you. I did get a chance to try the file trandsering (a 1 gig file (*.tgz to be exact) in about 12 minutes, not too bad in my opinion)

I am also trying to test video using my desktop and the girlfriends laptop. I think my problems so far are firewall related (If I turn off firestarter I get the green light). My qnext ID is 165565, I am more than happy to test the video with you. I did get a chance to try the file trandsering (a 1 gig file (*.tgz to be exact) in about 12 minutes, not too bad in my opinion)

mine is 167722, I can't find any one on the network (tried searching my number and yours..)

will try after work..

sorry, been away from the system.. if I add users I can find you, if I just search it comes back empty.,

but now that I think about it.. the search may not be to search users.