How To Stop An Enhanced Cd From Hijacking You ?

Greetings All,

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I am so mad right now I could spit fire. I bought what I thought was a plain old music CD. It is not, it is flt enhanced (whatever that is) My wife tells me she can not play the CD on the computer without registering. She registers and I figure OK maybe it needs to have a cookie to bypass the login screen. It takes you to a login page where you can see the video and fan club and other various junk, record label etc. The only way to kill the two log on screens is to pull up the task manager by hitting ctrl alt del and killing the process. The first log on screen takes up the entire screen even over the task bar. This is the only way the CD will play. Is there any way to permanently kill the log on screen. Even though my wife likes Rascal flats, I will probably never buy another one. I have xp home,zone alarm pro and AdSubtract,playing CD on media player 10. Thanks for any input.

Pat

I think it is just another wannabe ploy of the RIAA to stop people from burning copies of cds which is stupid because you bought the cd maybe you do not want to mess up the orginal so you want to make a copy to play in the car have one in the wifes car and maybe have one to play in the house on the home theater system but no you cannot do this because of copyright crap they are making it so hard for regular people to pop in a cd and press play they are lossing more money doing all this crap that people are just downloading them cause its so much easier (and they wonder why people steal music)

Greetings All,

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I am so mad right now I could spit fire. I bought what I thought was a plain old music CD. It is not, it is flt enhanced (whatever that is) My wife tells me she can not play the CD on the computer without registering. She registers and I figure OK maybe it needs to have a cookie to bypass the login screen. It takes you to a login page where you can see the video and fan club and other various junk, record label etc. The only way to kill the two log on screens is to pull up the task manager by hitting ctrl alt del and killing the process. The first log on screen takes up the entire screen even over the task bar. This is the only way the CD will play. Is there any way to permanently kill the log on screen. Even though my wife likes Rascal flats, I will probably never buy another one. I have xp home,zone alarm pro and AdSubtract,playing CD on media player 10. Thanks for any input.

Pat

Are there any issue with playing the CD in the car or home player?

The wife has no problems playing it on a cd player (we only have a portable CD player) She likes playing the CD's on the computer because the sound is so much better. It's just all this other garbage comes up when you just want to hear music. I don't have this problem with any other CD's

Thanks,

Pat

Found additional info:

Application FLTEnhanced.exe

Original file namemacromedia projector

Is there any way to stop application when CD is inserted in computer either through zone alarm or some other method.

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by novi

Enhanced CDs contain both music audio and computer data, so they can be played on audio equipment and used on a computer. (Enhanced CDs are also known as CD Extra or CD Plus CDs.) Note that the Mixed-mode CDs also contain audio and data, but these may not be playable on audio equipment.

You should disable AutoRun.

How-To Tuesday: Disable AutoRun on Windows!

If this is one of those Sony CDS with the XCP problem read the following.

Top Questions and Answers about XCP Content Protection Software

10. How can I remove the cloaking component from XCP software on my computer using one of the Microsoft tools?

According to Microsoft, Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), Windows Safety Live, and the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) all now have the capability to safely detect and remove the rootkit portion of the XCP software. Windows Antispyware (Beta) helps protect customers from spyware and other potentially unwanted software and currently has over 18 million active users. Customers who do not have Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) can download a copy at: http://www.microsoft.com/antispyware.

Microsoft is also updating its online scanner at the Windows Live Safety Center with a signature for the rootkit. This on-demand scanner tool is available at: http://safety.live.com. The Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) will remove the rootkit as a part of the next scheduled monthly release on December 13, 2005. The MSRT removes the most prevalent malware on systems through the automatic updating capabilities in Windows, and has been run more than 1.6 billion times in the past 10 months. This tool will be available as an on-demand scan at: http://www.microsoft.com/malwareremove.

Sony-BMG recalls copy-protected CDs

Sony hasn't released a list of affected CD titles, but the EFF has confirmed that the XCP software was installed on many copies of the albums listed below. According to the EFF, consumers can spot CDs with XCP by checking the left transparent spine on the front of the case for a label that says "CONTENT PROTECTED." The back of these CDs also mention XCP in fine print.

Trey Anastasio, "Shine" (Columbia)

Celine Dion, "On ne Change Pas" (Epic)

Neil Diamond, "12 Songs" (Columbia)

Our Lady Peace, "Healthy in Paranoid Times" (Columbia)

Chris Botti, "To Love Again" (Columbia)

Van Zant, "Get Right with the Man" (Columbia)

Switchfoot, "Nothing is Sound" (Columbia)

The Coral, "The Invisible Invasion" (Columbia)

Acceptance, "Phantoms" (Columbia)

Susie Suh, "Susie Suh" (Epic)

Amerie, "Touch" (Columbia)

Life of Agony, "Broken Valley" (Epic)

Horace Silver Quintet, "Silver's Blue" (Epic Legacy)

Gerry Mulligan, "Jeru" (Columbia Legacy)

Dexter Gordon, "Manhattan Symphonie" (Columbia Legacy)

The Bad Plus, "Suspicious Activity" (Columbia)

The Dead 60s, "The Dead 60s" (Epic)

Dion, "The Essential Dion" (Columbia Legacy)

Natasha Bedingfield, "Unwritten" (Epic)

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all who replied. Problem solved. This was definitely an education. I do not think this was a root kit problem.The record company is lyric street, who is connected to Disney, who is connected to Sony.The CD does not have a XCP on the case anywhere. The album was made in 2004. I solved the problem by going into the program control and banning it in all zones. I was afraid that when I did this the CD would not play, but it plays fine. The only thing it will not do is auto play.(which is good) Thanks TT for all the good info.

Thanks,

Pat

Almost forgot,

TT good to see you up and running. Everything went well I hope. Gotta run. Late for work.

Pat

I haven't taken my PC apart yet. I'm still waiting for Panda to send me the confirmation they received my payment so I can download the new version of Titanium. Once that is done and saved to my Slave drive I can get started. I have rewired a couple of fans and wrapped them so they look decent and have found a piece of lexan that I may turn into a new side cover. I figure to get all the mod stuff set.