Reparing Win Xp Home And No Xp Cd

I am trying to fix a friend's computer that does not boot. It is a store bought computer and just recently moved to a new place so the CDs that came with computer is in some box. The computer will boot to the black background with "Windows XP Home" and the loading bar in the foreground. After that a blue appears for an instant and the system reboots. It is so fast that I cannot read what is written.

Booting in Safe Mode does not help either. I believe some system file got corrupted or damaged. I don't have Windows XP home CD, just the Pro CD. If I try to use it to do the repair, it will try to upgrade rather than repair.

I believe thre is a hidden partition of 12GB that does not show even when using knoppix.

Any advice?

Thanks.

did you use the program cfdisk with knoppix? I think this would show your hidden partitions as well. 12 gb seems large for a recovery partition, what makes you think their is a hidden partition?

Because when I use the XP Pro CD to boot the computer, it shows an unpartitioned space of 12gb. I figured that that is where the computer builder put some of the files in there. The same thing happens to Dell, HP or Compaq computers.

The blue flash you are seeing is a memory dump, indicating a problem in the windows loading process - therefore safe mode will not work either

Is the extra 12GB a partition or unallocated space? There's a difference (space is just empty)

I've seen this problem be fixed with a new load of the OS, new memory, or a new hard drive

Edited by xxkbxx
The blue flash you are seeing is a memory dump, indicating a problem in the windows loading process - therefore safe mode will not work either

Is the extra 12GB a partition or unallocated space? There's a difference (space is just empty)

I've seen this problem be fixed with a new load of the OS, new memory, or a new hard drive

The extra space is unallocated space, according to the XP CD. I wonder if there is any files in it!

The extra space is unallocated space, according to the XP CD. I wonder if there is any files in it!

I hope that's sarcasm, but I'm not always good at reading things correctly

I hope that's sarcasm, but I'm not always good at reading things correctly

Not a sarcasm. I really don't know what they do with this unallocated space. Companies like Dell and HP always have some hidden/unallocated space where , I suspect, put something in there.

I have worked on a dell computer that had a hidden fat partition. This partition could be seen using cfdisk. If it apears unallocated, I would feel confident betting money that is just unused unallocated space.

Interesting - never heard of that before

It's probably just extra space anyways - every hard drive (to some degree) has unallocated space

My theory was the computer was sold as having a certain size harddrive. Maybe the manufactures got a good deal on slighty larger harddrives. They only formatted them to the desired size.

Probably formatted them down to a rounded number like 120 for a 140GB Hard Drive that's actually 127.6 some odd GB

It would freak some people out - "I think I have a virus!"