Computer Keeps Shutting Down

My sons computer keeps shutting down for no apparent reason. He will be in the middle of something, and all of a sudden it will reboot on it's own. It has been doing so for about a week. Temp on the display is around 35 C (95 F). Help :blink:!!!!

Here are the specs:

WinXP Home SP2

Pentium 4 3.06GHz

512MB Ram

-Edit-

I removed your image due to it having the registration key visible. It wouldn't be good if someone were to use that for themselves. -TheTerrorist-

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

My sons computer keeps shutting down for no apparent reason. He will be in the middle of something, and all of a sudden it will reboot on it's own. It has been doing so for about a week. Temp on the display is around 35 C (95 F). Help :blink:!!!!

Here are the specs:

I had already edited it. TT75

You may want to delete your picture or at least edit out the OEM license number for the OS. Has your son added anything to his PC lately? (software or hardware) Is there any type of error message displayed when the problem happens?

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart” and then check the "Write a system event", and the "Admin alert" boxes (check "send admin alert"). This should give you the blue screen with error instead of rebooting. Copy the exact error and post it here.

does your son get a shut down warning?

as it could be a virus.[blaster or sasser worm will do this]

or as some one else says hardware drivers

or heat

if he is a gamer drivers or heat are a common accurence

marty

Here is what the blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactuer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problem continues, disable or remove any new hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing. [*now it tells how to boot in safe mode*]

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000005 (0x825C9660, 0x818AF020, 0x00000001, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory

dump complete

--------

Thats what it says...any idea whats going on? It happened 4 times in a row (reboot after reboot) last night.

yes sethook

after reading that

link

it looks as tho it is the problem.

the article mentions virus scanners

or firewalls could be the trouble

ive never had any other firewall

then the one that comes with xp

my we live and learn.

that was a handy link

i hope the poster

gets the problem fixed

marty

I would like to hear if this solved Velda's problem.

It sure seemed that the MSKB article Sethook posted was spot-on, so it would be nice to hear if that was the issue here.

/Chappy waves at Velda

Yoohoo...Velda, if you come back and read this, please let us know what happened. ;)

This is my son...

I ran the program that was provided in that link and everything seemed to run fine. A few hours later I was talking with my friend on MSN. She requested cam (we have video convos cause it is cheaper than the phone lol) and we started to talk. I opened up photoshop CS2 while telling her about this problem with my computer always shutting down. I told her that if it shut down I would be right back. BAM! I finished the sentence and my computer shuts down.

It has done it 10 or so times since I ran the program provided. It always seems to happen when I am doing intense stuff on my computer? I have so many things running all the time (I am a huge customization freak) and I fear that it may be the problem. Would a list of my running apps be useful :/?

Sorry for the long wait in replies, I get kinda busy photoshopping (especially when my computer shuts down in the middle of some art >___<) and forget to tell my mom whats happening to my computer :P.

Power Supply - that's my best bet

A bad power supply shouldn't be the cause of a computer shutdown when multiple app;ications are being run. Too little memory can. 512MB of memory is not enough for WinXP and running a bunch of programs which include Photoshop CS at the same time. Time to get another 512MB of memory in that PC if you are going to use that many memory intensive programs.

i had this problem at techtv once

and it was either pete or chappy posted

and said go to power opyions

and depending on your mobo

look for a APM tab

open it and check the box power suport

which fixed my shut down problems

this compt hasent got that option

but i believe if you set all your power options

to always on and never

it would help if it is a power problem.

tho i feel from the posters answer

it is a driver problem

video or sound card

marty

Power Supply - that's my best bet

A bad power supply shouldn't be the cause of a computer shutdown when multiple app;ications are being run. Too little memory can. 512MB of memory is not enough for WinXP and running a bunch of programs which include Photoshop CS at the same time. Time to get another 512MB of memory in that PC if you are going to use that many memory intensive programs.

I agree here, it's probably a memory issue.

This is way over my head, but was wondering if deleting the temp files would free up some space?

In IE go to Tools, Internet Options, Temporary Files, also put checkmark in offline content too, then delete. Also clear your history files in the next section down, and check that it isn't more than a few days worth saved. And then go to the Recycle Bin to empty it after you are satisfied looking through it that nothing important was in there that you might change your mind about. Also right click on the Recycle Bin, then on Properties, readjust your slider downwards for how much stuff is kept in bin before emptying especially if you have a large hard drive you don't want to waste tons of space on held deleted stuff as it slows up your computer. Also go to start, run, type in %temp% then ok, then if it has stuff in it, highlight them then click on file and delete.

Or try readjusting the space limits before a memory dump, though I can't think what the proper term for that is or how you do it?

So now that I have exhausted my feeble knowledge on how to help get rid of unneeded stuff to free up space, I'll let the tech people do their good help.

Pat

God bless everyone