Im pretty sure i need a new modem, my old one will not connect, its a BCM V90 or whatever, original one that came with a Gateway Select 1200 with 1.2 g and amd athlon. Looking on Newegg.com will one of the cheaper dialup modems be alright? loaded question I know, but reviews for the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones, even though there is not more than 20 bucks difference, are not much different. besides I cant see spending much on an older box. Thanks for any advice. My old one by the way just makes a stuttering sound, googled around for answers, one suggestion was voice mail, but phone works when hooked up to that jack and another computer works there also.

I would not buy a dialup modem online. Go to the nearest mom & pop store, Best Buy, CompUSA and etc. Some of the cheap modems ship with crappy drivers on a floppy or CD. Many times you will have to search the internet finding a driver that willl work, Some cheap brands don't have those drivers available at their sites. At least if you buy local you can return the modem if it doesn't work on your system.

That's around half the jobs I do at work - replacing modems then reinstalling drivers for them. I usually just install a $15 Motorolla Modem (comes with drivers and it gets the job done) Heck, if you can't find one nearby I'm sure my boss would sell you one if you PayPal